The Pope's Visit

I'd be of the same opinion. If churches want their leaders to visit, let them pay. None of this masquerading as a head of state.

I think we have found some common ground.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't like Muslims, or Catholics.

The Pope actually is a head of a state and recognized as such until someone decides that the state should no longer exist which is highly unlikely to ever happen no matter what our opinion of it is.

I have nothing against Muslims and Catholics as individuals either. I'm a lapsed Catholic myself

So what's the difference between a vist by the Pope who is head of a recognized state, namely the Vatican and the head of any other state?

The country bears some of the cost involving any visit. What's the problem with the Pope in particular?

This thread is just an atheist rant let's admit it now.

If the head of any other recognised state came over and held public events, they would be exactly that, public. For UK taxpayers to be forking out and then only permitted to attend the so-called public events if they are a practicing catholic is unacceptable.

At least you have to be over 18 to partake at La Chambre and kiss a ring!

What I don't understand is how His Holiness can reconcile the concept of original sin with papal fallibility, given that he is a mere mortal like the rest of us.

An Irish wife and mother was once making tea for the family and buttering some bread. Suddenly she dropped one of the slices and it fell face side up. The whole family was shocked because as everyone knows a dropped slice of bread always lands buttered side down.

She consulted the local priest who was just as perplexed so he wrote to the Pope for clarification

A week later came the reply..."The bread was buttered on the wrong side!"

Infallible to the last.

Do we really need good diplomatic relations with the Vatican though?

Not since 1534:thumbsup:.

So because you say there's nothing to gain from the visit then it shouldn't happen?

Nobody's saying it shouldn't happen. Just that payment shouldn't come out of the public purse, especially with all the imminent cuts.

How many millions of catholics in Britain might feel they've gained something in spiritual comfort?

Then let the catholic church pay (even more so, as it's a catholic only event).

What if the visitor were head of the Islamic religion.

The I wouldn't expect any such visit to be paid for via taxes. Same as for the pope.

An Irish wife and mother was once making tea for the family and buttering some bread. Suddenly she dropped one of the slices and it fell face side up. The whole family was shocked because as everyone knows a dropped slice of bread always lands buttered side down.

She consulted the local priest who was just as perplexed so he wrote to the Pope for clarification

A week later came the reply..."The bread was buttered on the wrong side!"

Infallible to the last.

So what are you saying? That Irish mothers are somehow a bit simple or dim? Choose the words of your reply carefully Holy Man as I had an Irish mother rest her soul

If the head of any other recognised state came over and held public events, they would be exactly that, public. For UK taxpayers to be forking out and then only permitted to attend the so-called public events if they are a practicing catholic is unacceptable.

You beat me to it!! He's obviously visiting as the head of the Catholic Church, so they should bear the costs, not us.

So what are you saying? That Irish mothers are somehow a bit simple or dim? Choose the words of your reply carefully Holy Man as I had an Irish mother rest her soul

Interesting that that should be your interpetation Harleyman. You can put that one down to something else you imagined. I have some Irish ancestry myself you know.

And in any case I am not in the habit of maligning people for their nationality, or indeed, their religion...unlike some. ;)

Archived