The Pope's Visit

Still waiting, so I'll ask a third time...

What exactly does the Pope do?

Seriously, I don't know. What exactly is the purpose of having a pope?

The Pope is Gods representative on earth. He is the head of the Catholic church and leads it. Effectively he's president of the Catholic religion and head of state of Vatican City

The Pope is Gods representative on earth. He is the head of the Catholic church and leads it. Effectively he's president of the Catholic religion and head of state of Vatican City

The Pope is not God's representative on Earth. This is a common misconception.

The Pope is a head of state and as such taxpayers should contribute to his visit as they would with any head of state visit. Other countries do the same when our head of state visits them.

As far as I'm aware the Pope is also here on business.

The Pope was invited to visit.

The Catholic church are contributing a large amount towards his visit even though he is a head of state.

Also, what a lot of you have failed to think about is the fact that his visit will generate income in this country. Any visit of this scale involves people coming over to this country spending money. Also people who live here will travel to see him and spend money. Spending money in small businesses that need money at the moment. It is likely that the income generated by his visit will be more than the cost to the taxpayer for his visit. i.e. this country will profit from his visit.

It is an important visit to many catholics.

Surely this is a win win situation?

Get over your prejudices people!

The Association of Chief Constables allocate various responsibilities (traffic, terrorism, olympics etc.) to individual Chief Constables to take charge.

The Chief Constable responsible for the security of the Pope's visit is the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire. A fair amount of his time, that of other SY Officers & staff, and expenses will arise.

Is South Yorkshire being reimbursed for what is a national expense?

The Pope is not God's representative on Earth. This is a common misconception.

The Pope is a head of state and as such taxpayers should contribute to his visit as they would with any head of state visit. Other countries do the same when our head of state visits them.

But he's not a real head of state, he's a religious leader of a country that doesn't really exist, it's just so that he can get special treatment.

Also, what a lot of you have failed to think about is the fact that his visit will generate income in this country. Any visit of this scale involves people coming over to this country spending money. Also people who live here will travel to see him and spend money. Spending money in small businesses that need money at the moment. It is likely that the income generated by his visit will be more than the cost to the taxpayer for his visit. i.e. this country will profit from his visit.
I do not believe that. If someone could show this to be true then I would reconsider my position on this matter.

Archived