Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

I am. But only the stuff that will be useful. Religion is just a collection of fairy stories that will give him nothing possitive in the long run. His maths, English and other basics are far more important to every day life and im going to make sure he gets the most out of them.

Only then will he have a fighting chance at making something of himself.

I totaly agree with you Religion for me at school was a waste of time all i can remember from the lessons are all the silly things we used to get up to .

It's your right as a parent to say what you want him to learn as you have seen the evidance that this subject isn't benifiting to him in anyway shape or form .

Everything i know about religion is what i have picked up since leving school and not thought looking for it either .

Just stick with it i'm sure you will get your way in the end. It's just a matter of not backing down to them !!!!

Mmmm ... sounds more like you're having a paddy because the school said you were a bigot, rather than considering what's actually best for your son.

Perhaps you should try and take your own outraged feelings out of the equation, and read what some of the other posters have said about the benefits of learning about and understanding different religions.

Or ask the child if they want to learn about Religion?

The OP is not having a paddy, I would react in the same way. If I don't want my child learning about religion and I want their attention focused on more important subjects, why shouldn't I be able to get them out of it?

The school has acted in the wrong by calling the OP a bigot, when they have the right to take their child out of the class.

I totaly agree with you Religion for me at school was a waste of time all i can remember from the lessons are all the silly things we used to get up to .

On that basis, I should have banned my children from studying physics since in my day it was taught in draughty old labs by uninspiring teachers and was of no use whatsoever to me.

RE today isn't what it used to be-a bored teacher standing in front of a blackboard and relentlessly instilling the Christian message. It's about engaging with the children, challenging their own prejudices, and hopefully enlightening them to cultures that are unlike theirs.

We didn't learn anything to do with Religion in History.

I did turn up to all my history classes but maybe I were asleep when they were talking about how important Religion is in History? And to say I only left school 3 years ago then my memory isn't all that bad.

you may not have learnt about but it will have a bearing on much of each thing you did learn about. It is what has caused many of the divisions we still have today, it has shaped our laws and our society and our borders and countries

Archived