Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

Mmmm ... sounds more like you're having a paddy because the school said you were a bigot, rather than considering what's actually best for your son.

Hows that work?

They called me a biggot after id decided he would be better off learning other subjects?

Tell me, id love to know.

We didn't learn anything to do with Religion in History.

I did turn up to all my history classes but maybe I were asleep when they were talking about how important Religion is in History? And to say I only left school 3 years ago then my memory isn't all that bad.

I left school 24 years ago and I remember us studying the founding of America (founded by people who were being religiously persecuted in England) and Ancient Egypt (the whole culture revolved around their religion) and the Crusades (fairly religious) in History class.

I guess history isn't taught with such depth any more, when all you have to answer is "Which king had 6 wives" to get a A-level there's probably no need to.

Well thats what the school said i was doing when i told them i dont want him to take part in any religious education classes.

I said i wanted him to conentrate on the 3 r's seeing as hes quite a way behind his peers on these subjects and i feel hell get more out of those subjects.

They said i was "being a little biggoted" and they arent sure if they "can accomodate my request" as it would mean finding another class for him to sit in and also supervise it.

I pointed out it wasnt a request. Thats when it got really tricky. :(

Schools eh!!

Dont you just love em.:loopy:

Is this because you are a none believer and are forcing your beliefs on him? I only ask because we parents do have a very nasty habit of thinking that we always know best.

Is this because you are a none believer and are forcing your beliefs on him? I only ask because we parents do have a very nasty habit of thinking that we always know best.

I know what your saying but no, it isnt that.

Its purely for practical reasons.

No not really because believe it or not I cannot change the world.

Religious Studies would not have benefited me at all. How do you know that it would benefit me?

Any knowledge is a benefit compared to no knowledge.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am the brightest candle on the cake ;) thanks.

If you say so, doesn't sound that way from your posts though. Soz.

If someone doesn't want to learn the world of religious rubbish then they don't have to.

Indeed, but then they're completely ill equipped to deal with people and nations who's daily lives and politics revolve entirely around religious affairs.

Any knowledge is a benefit compared to no knowledge.

If you say so, doesn't sound that way from your posts though. Soz.

Indeed, though they're at a disadvantage in the wider world if they do not have the appropriate knowledge of local beliefs.

If that is what you believe then so be it.

I guess history isn't taught with such depth any more, when all you have to answer is "Which king had 6 wives" to get a A-level there's probably no need to.

Aye, if history today really doesn't contain anything to do with religion, it ain't history. Someone's been short changed ;)

Archived