Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

How is learning about how massive parts of the planet operate, even if you don't operate that way yourself, a bad thing

It's not a "bad" thing. However, if my child was behind with other (more important) lessons, I too would want them to drop an (IMO) trivial subject (RE) in order to catch up with maths, English, physics, chemistry, biology, woodwork:D.

Surely this would be better for the child's future?

I just saw a suffragette post on the popes vist haha

on that note RE should include the roman catholic heretic rubbish and the crusades along with the popes idiotic stance on condoms etc

Perhaps when covering Catholicism, that aspect of the syllabus could just be referred to as 'Lock up your husbands and sons'.

I feel really strongly that all faiths should be taught in school, alongside humanism, atheism and philosophy. That way kids would have a good foundation in all belief systems and ideologies.

It's not a "bad" thing. However, if my child was behind with other (more important) lessons, I too would want them to drop an (IMO) trivial subject (RE) in order to catch up with maths, English, physics, chemistry, biology, woodwork:D.

Surely this would be better for the child's future?

it depends what the child ends up doing

As an archeologist, social worker, philosopher, politician, job centre worker etc RE could be helpful and sometimes vital.

as below GCSE children do not have a clue what they will end up doing, even if they think they do. Why restrict their options so early

I know I didn't believe in god at 8. This is irrelevant!

It's very relevant in the context that I posted in. People were saying that it must've been the OP "putting ideas into the childs head" rather than the child.

Also, how can RE be compulsory when the ERA allows withdrawal from lessons?

I feel really strongly that all faiths should be taught in school, alongside humanism, atheism and philosophy. That way kids would have a good foundation in all belief systems.

If nothing else it should be used as an opportunity for students to share their life experiences and how their views are formed.

If nothing else it should be used as an opportunity for students to share their life experiences and how their views are formed.

I really resent the way RE was taught when I was at school. We had a disgusting pervy Reverend, who used to keep the girls behind class and grope our backsides. We were taught Christianity in the more unimaginative way possible and only 'studied' the NT. I knew nothing about any other religion whatsoever and dropped RE at 'O' level and did Russian instead.

It's very relevant in the context that I posted in. People were saying that it must've been the OP "putting ideas into the childs head" rather than the child.

Also, how can RE be compulsory when the ERA allows withdrawal from lessons?

and back we go again, what do you say when the child doesn't want to do PE and maths

RE is compulsory in the same way PE is, it can be avoided in special circumstances (I dont agree with the circumstances for RE). It is still a compulsory subject!

it depends what the child ends up doing

As an archeologist, social worker, philosopher, politician, job centre worker etc RE could be helpful and sometimes vital.

as below GCSE children do not have a clue what they will end up doing, even if they think they do. Why restrict their options so early

I agree with that. Furthermore, in today's global market I would say that it is even more crucial than ever to learn about other religions and cultures.

How? All are professions that can be performed without the need for any previous religious knowledge.

Archived