Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

It's not a "bad" thing. However, if my child was behind with other (more important) lessons, I too would want them to drop an (IMO) trivial subject (RE) in order to catch up with maths, English, physics, chemistry, biology, woodwork:D.

Surely this would be better for the child's future?

Then that would seem to be a valid reason. I'm just saying that RE isn't pointless, even if you don't believe and regard religion with contempt.

Of course i did. Those are the rules. He told his teacher he didnt want to do the lesson. He dosent believe in religion or god in any way and want to be excused. She said he needed a letter from his parents. He got one.

Thats when the school got snotty.

Good enough?

More fool you I'm afraid ....child 1 : adult 0

We keep score in our house.

Joking aside, in my opinion, its critical for kids to know they can't just get their own way with things like this. Teachers and parents should be on the same side.

It's not a "bad" thing. However, if my child was behind with other (more important) lessons, I too would want them to drop an (IMO) trivial subject (RE) in order to catch up with maths, English, physics, chemistry, biology, woodwork:D.

Surely this would be better for the child's future?

which is fine unless they want to do something where RE would be of more use than science. This is true of many jobs.

Lots of people dont use maths after school.

Do you never go shopping?

Do you not have a bank account?

I think you'll find you use maths every day at some stage.

I would suspect extreme mental or physical disabilities!

In which case, the child would (probably) not be in mainstream education, which would concentrate on other, more important things.

I have say that RE is more vital than maths.

The only time I use anything from my RE schooling, is when arguing against religion (that includes Sunday school & a CoE primary).

Maths, I use everyday.

English I use everyday.

Maths & English are far more important than knowing that group x believe this, group y believe this, whereas group z believes this....

I don't care what a person believes, only how they are!

Joking aside, in my opinion, its critical for kids to know they can't just get their own way with things like this. Teachers and parents should be on the same side.

haha I think that too. Its just like when mummy says no so child asks daddy. Daddy looks at googly eyes and says to mummy "why not"

Mummy mad, Daddy in doghouse, child wins:hihi:

That's a good point.

To the OP, how old is your son?

Wonder why you want to stop your son going to RE, you are trying to shape his future yet he is still at school.

Have you not read the posts by the OP on this thread?

The child made the request to the school.

The school said the parent(s) had to put it in writing.

The school then labeled them as a bigot.

Look more like the school is wanting to shape the child, as opposed to the parent(s).

In which case, the child would (probably) not be in mainstream education, which would concentrate on other, more important things.

The only time I use anything from my RE schooling, is when arguing against religion (that includes Sunday school & a CoE primary).

Maths, I use everyday.

English I use everyday.

Maths & English are far more important than knowing that group x believe this, group y believe this, whereas group z believes this....

We all use basic arithmetic most days, but I have never ever had cause to use Calculus, trigonometry, algebra, logarithms or any of the Maths that I learnt at school.

Maths, I use everyday.

English I use everyday.

I use maths every day I am a scientist.

If you are saying every time you look at a number thats maths then every time you say the word christian or muslim, that is RE.

By your logic every subject is not compulsory that was my point.

but I have never ever had cause to use Calculus, trigonometry, algebra, logarithms or any of the Maths that I learnt at school.

So, you could work out fractions and decimals before school?

Why bother going then;).

Archived