Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

Good idea. He can grow up as stupid as his sire.

What the OP is effectively saying is he wants to pick and choose what lessons the school should teach. That will leave big holes in his knowledge of the world and how it works.

So the OP doesn't like religion, and what?

It's around and it's useful to have a working knowledge of how things work if you don't want him to grow up a moron.

Where did your parents go wrong then ?

No but you know doubt remember the topic, Im not sure if that one got locked or deleted because it turned into a free for all.

I know I did nothing wrong other than exercise my right to not let him go, as they had sent us a request slip.

Little did I know that I would have got branded for it, and like I said as soon as I pointed out that it wasn't looking very good for the school with them pretending that the Jewish faith did not exist so as not to have any conflict with the Muslim parents they backed down.

I felt sorry though for another parent who works at the school as a dinner lady who had to change her mind and give permission after they threatened her job !

Honestly you could not make up half the stuff that's gone off at our school.

Outrageous! I do recall a thread about withholding permission for a child to go on a school trip to a Hindu temple, was that you?

What's this about 'pretending that the Jewish faith doesn't exist'? Surely you cannot tailor a religious education curriculum based on the school's constituents?

I believe it stipulates that they can be removed for religious reasons, it doesn't sound like the OP has a religious reason.

So lets get this cleared up in my mind.

If you don't believe in God you have to learn about everyone else's ?

If you believe in a particular God then you excluded from having to learn about the others ?

If your Christian you can learn about being a Muslim and vice versa, as they both tolerate each other but they won't expect Muslims to have to learn about Jews because they is intolerance ?

So the Idea that its all about tolerance and understanding is all a crock of crap to introduce the wavering outsiders who have no religion to various Gods in hope that they may choose one.

The whole curriculum to me sounds like a marketing ploy by the major religions to 'get the stragglers', As I said in the last topic on this lot.

I'm not talking about faith schools and it's for that reason (inter-alia) that I am strongly opposed to them.

It happens in non-faith schools too though.

Faith schools also tend to throw out the most devout atheists imaginable (VOE) so, maybe, they do some good:D.

Maths, I use everyday.

English I use everyday.

Maths & English are far more important than knowing that group x believe this, group y believe this, whereas group z believes this....

Your missing the point, how can you understand what's going off the next time one side wants to burn the others flag or the other wants to burn the others books if you don't learn about them ? :hihi:

It happens in non-faith schools too though.

Faith schools also tend to throw out the most devout atheists imaginable (VOE) so, maybe, they do some good:D.

:hihi:

I had no idea that RE was tailored in mainstream schools, surely the word 'national' which prefaces 'curriculum' should mean that everyone follows roughly the same curriculum? Since when can schools pick and choose which religions to cover?

Outrageous! I do recall a thread about withholding permission for a child to go on a school trip to a Hindu temple, was that you?

What's this about 'pretending that the Jewish faith doesn't exist'? Surely you cannot tailor a religious education curriculum based on the school's constituents?

Yes that was me, the point put to me was that the trip was important for the children to learn tolerance and understanding of the major religious groups.

But the only trips organised were to 3 places, a Hindu temple first, a Christian church and last a Mosque.

As I was the one being accused of being racist/bigoted I questioned there reasoning for them bi passing what I consider to be a major religion, Judaism.

Anyhow that was the end of that argument, it was too embarrassing for the school to push the subject any further.

Yes that was me, the point put to me was that the trip was important for the children to learn tolerance and understanding of the major religious groups.

But the only trips organised were to 3 places, a Hindu temple first, a Christian church and last a Mosque.

As I was the one being accused of being racist/bigoted I questioned there reasoning for them bi passing what I consider to be a major religion, Judaism.

Anyhow that was the end of that argument, it was too embarrassing for the school to push the subject any further.

And the oldest of the Abrahamic religions, too.

Archived