Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

I think R.E should be ditched as a lesson, Do a brief bit about it in history, we are supposed to be a multi cultural country now so surely they cant cover every religion and in these days religion isnt as big as it was yrs ago, leave religion up to the parents to teach, I see no need for it in future life, when has anyone every refered to or needed anything they learnt in R.E ?, When I was at school R.E always meant F.B (fag break) Its boring and pointless!

I do think that schools should be all embracing. Thinking back to when my son was in Reception for two terms at a school in North London, they covered every religious festival except Christmas, which I thought was disgraceful.

But why? Surely what you've just said is full of contradiction. If the headmaster was a mathematician would a school trip to Bletchley Park be classed as indoctrination?

Look, I'm not remotely religious and would best be described as a humanist but I do feel that too many people are far too quick to dismiss faith as irrelevant just because they don't have any. If more people lived their lives religiously the world would be a much nicer place so I reckon that it's very important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Well thats what the school said i was doing when i told them i dont want him to take part in any religious education classes.

I said i wanted him to conentrate on the 3 r's seeing as hes quite a way behind his peers on these subjects and i feel hell get more out of those subjects.

They said i was "being a little biggoted" and they arent sure if they "can accomodate my request" as it would mean finding another class for him to sit in and also supervise it.

I pointed out it wasnt a request. Thats when it got really tricky. :(

Schools eh!!

Dont you just love em.:loopy:

Stop being such a child.

But why? Surely what you've just said is full of contradiction. If the headmaster was a mathematician would a school trip to Bletchley Park be classed as indoctrination?

Look, I'm not remotely religious and would best be described as a humanist but I do feel that too many people are far too quick to dismiss faith as irrelevant just because they don't have any. If more people lived their lives religiously the world would be a much nicer place so I reckon that it's very important not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Not at all, the religion of the head should not dictate the agenda as to which places of worship pupils get to visit, that is akin to indoctrination as far as I'm concerned. Nor should the school's constituency have any bearing on this. If pupils are only able to visit some due to accessibility, then that's understandable, however, making the choice on the basis of their personal beliefs is wrong.

I have argued all along that RE should be compulsory, however, it should be all embracing, if one of the major faith's festivals is marked, then all of them should be. I haven't dismissed faith as being irrelevant at all (if that comment was aimed at me), despite not having any myself.

Well thats what the school said i was doing when i told them i dont want him to take part in any religious education classes.

I said i wanted him to conentrate on the 3 r's seeing as hes quite a way behind his peers on these subjects and i feel hell get more out of those subjects.

They said i was "being a little biggoted" and they arent sure if they "can accomodate my request" as it would mean finding another class for him to sit in and also supervise it.

I pointed out it wasnt a request. Thats when it got really tricky. :(

Schools eh!!

Dont you just love em.:loopy:

I think you're shortsighted and foolish, not to mention depriving your child of a useful learning opportunity and making things difficult for the school.

Oh dear:shakes:.

Schools dumb kids down to the lowest common denominator.

Or do you believe "clear " and "transparent" are the same?

I don't understand what you mean - I think human beings prosper when they mix with various other human beings and ideas including those that their parents don't like - if their parents are weird- religious nutjobs, hippies, schizophrenics etc etc - then it is much more important that they go to school and meet the opffspring of less mad people - surely?

ps what's the 'clear' and ' transparent' reference to?

Not at all, the religion of the head should not dictate the agenda as to which places of worship pupils get to visit, that is akin to indoctrination as far as I'm concerned. Nor should the school's constituency have any bearing on this. If pupils are only able to visit some due to accessibility, then that's understandable, however, making the choice on the basis of their personal beliefs is wrong.

Umm, all sccsux said was "They visited a church and a bhuddist temple. No mosque or synagogue." I couldn't possibly stretch that statement to religious bias, especially as they visited a Buddhist temple as well as a church.

what's the 'clear' and ' transparent' reference to?

If you asked a child what colour a (standard) window was, and they answered "transperent", would you tell them they were wrong and it was "clear" (remember, this is normal glass that most people have as windows, and not frosted/coloured)?

Well the teacher did to the child (the child knew that some windows are not transparent, but the window in question was).

That's what I mean by dumbing down/lowest common denominator.

Umm, all sccsux said was "They visited a church and a bhuddist temple. No mosque or synagogue." I couldn't possibly stretch that statement to religious bias, especially as they visited a Buddhist temple as well as a church.

Buddhism is not monotheistic nor one of the Abrahamic religions and given that the rest of the post went onto say (the emboldened bit below), I think it not a stretch to have inferred what I did.

The GF's son went to a local primary school. They visited a church and a bhuddist temple. No mosque or synagogue. The school's head was a practicing christian and the assemblies reflected that.:( The previous head was good though:thumbsup: as her (GF's) daughter (same school) visited all manner of PoW.

Archived