Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

The mentor is employed soley for my son abd goes with him eveywhere at school. At home hes not needed as we (his parents) take over.

:)

And you're still not happy!

My brother has been fighting for 5 years to get some help for his son and has got nothing, your boy has his own personal mentor!

Mind if i ask how long ago that was - mine was 20 yearsish ago and the only religion that was mentioned was Christianity - in fact not really even that, it was pretty much CoE exclusive.

sadly mine was also 20 years ago and from what I remember (I didnt really listen) we compared different forms of christianity. We also learned about muslims hindus and jews. This seems a good mix for a christian country. My only criticism was that they never mention aetheism which I think is an important one!

It isn't religion that is the problem it's what people do with it

I'm of the generation where RE was more a study of the bible, but then in my year at that time there was only one non CofE pupil, and his family were Jehovah's witnesses.

A basic understanding of different religions, their history, development and relationship to others ought to be compulsory for all students - you don't know at 11 what is going to be useful to you in the future and you should have as broad a knowledge as possible

In my school at least RE wasn't trying to teach you Christianity, or convert you

Well said, and its not. I'd like my child to know about other religions than see, for example, the thread in Sheffield Chat entitled Eid Fitr Moubarak to Sheffield and think "what the hell's that all about".

We need tolerance in these sensitive times, and knowing a person's culture (Geography and History lessons) and faith (RE) goes a long way to promote that.

I dont see why you'd want to remove him from this lesson. When hes studying it at GCSE level and hes learning about ALL religions, and cultures etc you may be thankful. I know when I was studying it, it only counted as half a GCSE but if I dropped it, it wouldnt have made up my Citizenship GCSE. We learnt about euthanasia, cultures, all religious things, stuff that happens under our noses (as part of religion) that otherwise wouldnt have known about. I found it, a particually interesting subject, im not religious - never have been, never will be. I think religion is the oldest con in the book but I still learnt about it, and I still respect people who ARE religious. Its not just learning about praying, and saying amen... its so much more.

Give your kid a chance to open his eyes to different things in life. I didnt particually like Science, I ended up studying double science at GCSE level.. I didnt do well in it, got 2 D's.. but I learnt how to change a plug and a fuse etc. Its LIFE skills that you take from each and every subject.

I am. But only the stuff that will be useful. Religion is just a collection of fairy stories that will give him nothing possitive in the long run. His maths, English and other basics are far more important to every day life and im going to make sure he gets the most out of them.

Only then will he have a fighting chance at making something of himself.

If I were you, I'd use that as an opportunity to review exactly what your son is getting out the RE lessons. If he is really struggling to keep up then his educational needs (and those of his PEP) are not being met.

I have and hes getting nothing possitive thats why i wanted him excluded from them. He also expressed a wish to do more maths and English as he knows hes well behind with them. It was as much his choice as it were mine and his mums.

Archived