Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

You are not hurting your Son at all. R.E. was the most pointless subject we had at school, nobody wanted to go to it, nobody took it seriously and I can't even tell you what we were "taught".

Totally pointless subject and should be replaced with something more important that would actually teach kids something. If people want there kids to be taught ethics, values etc. Then maybe teach them that at home? Like you should do?

You are not hurting your Son at all. R.E. was the most pointless subject we had at school, nobody wanted to go to it, nobody took it seriously and I can't even tell you what we were "taught".

Totally pointless subject and should be replaced with something more important that would actually teach kids something. If people want there kids to be taught ethics, values etc. Then maybe teach them that at home? Like you should do?

Waaaaaaaaaay ahead of you :cool:

It is important for kids to know about and empathise with other religions, I disagree with having RE lessons, I think they should be about different cultures which would then encompass religion, however as an aetheist I think having some knowlege of religion is really important.

Kids will be learning about debating, reading, writing, empathy and many other things during these lessons.

I am. But only the stuff that will be useful. Religion is just a collection of fairy stories that will give him nothing possitive in the long run. His maths, English and other basics are far more important to every day life and im going to make sure he gets the most out of them.

Only then will he have a fighting chance at making something of himself.

But, he is going to come across Muslims, Christians, and whatever other religions that are around in his life isnt he? I totally agree its fairy storys - like I said in my reply, im not religious its a con IMO. But there are people around that DO believe in it, and if hes not going (or, more to the point, has a parent who isnt willing too) let him understand it, then hes going to get confused later in life isnt he? Its not alot of studying, for me it was one 50minute lesson a week. But to a point, I understand different religions and the reasons why people might follow a particular one. Why not allow him, and get MORE knowledge of this world that we live in? He will (if lessons stay the same) study 5 lesson of Maths, English and Science a week (unless he does double science then its 10 lessons a week) compared to 1 RE lesson. Do you think thats its going to influence him, or brainwash him, into thinking he must be religious?

Why should I have to do R.E if I don't want to? I have never been brought up around religious people there for Religion doesn't come into my life.
Extending that logic, why should you have to learn anything if you don't want to do it?

You should have a choice of whether you want to learn it or not.

I disagree, the ignorance that exists in the world about cultures who appear alien demonstrates the benefits of learning.

Why should I HAVE to care about Religion? It isn't important in my life and never will be.

I think you're confusing care with knowledge-I don't care much for the BNP, but I've still taken the time to familiarise myself with their policies so I can talk about them from an informed rather than prejudiced point of view.

Totally pointless subject and should be replaced with something more important that would actually teach kids something.
Like bomb making to kill infidels? Or how to polish pitchforks? ;)

If people want there kids to be taught ethics, values etc. Then maybe teach them that at home? Like you should do?

That's part of the problem, many kids aren't taught anything at home other than how to change channels on Sky, society has a responsibility to all children to educate them, that's why going to school is compulsory.

It is important for kids to know about and empathise with other religions, I disagree with having RE lessons, I think they should be about different cultures which would then encompass religion, however as an aetheist I think having some knowlege of religion is really important.

Kids will be learning about debating, reading, writing, empathy and many other things during these lessons.

I don't think it is at all. Christianity in England will die out before long, so why should children be taught about Religions, but then be told in Science that we come from evolution?

I have no problems with kids learning about debating, reading, writing, empathy etc. However these are already taught in something we had called PSE, Personal & Social Health Education. This was taught for 2 hours on a Tuesday morning and included all of the above.

I don't think people should be forced into R.E if they don't believe in it.

To a point I agree, however, many millions of people on this planet do believe in some way or other. Should you be completely ignorant of how they percieve the world?

Personally I'd rather religion didn't exist but the reality is that it does, and knowing about each one would seem to be a good thing, if only to avoid obvious faux-pas' when visiting other cultures.

I don't think it is at all. Christianity in England will die out before long, so why should children be taught about Religions, but then be told in Science that we come from evolution?

I have no problems with kids learning about debating, reading, writing, empathy etc. However these are already taught in something we had called PSE, Personal & Social Health Education. This was taught for 2 hours on a Tuesday morning and included all of the above.

School is designed to produce well rounded individuals, something sadly I think some parents are really bad at. Any parent preventing their child from learning different points of view is doing them a dis-service! Just my opinion

Archived