Apparently im hurting my son

js2012

Why should I HAVE to care about Religion? It isn't important in my life and never will be.

It is Religion that has made this world so messed up!

Wouldnt that make it quite important to your life then?

It's a shame to see you and the OP denigrating the benefits of education when it clearly would have benifitted you.

No disrespect, but I dont think even you two would describe yourselves as the sharpest knives in the drawer. Take it from people here that a well rounded education is invaluable, socially, financially and emotionally.

Wouldnt that make it quite important to your life then?

It's a shame to see you and the OP denigrating the benefits of education when it clearly would have benifitted you.

No disrespect, but I dont think even you two would describe yourselves as the sharpest knives in the drawer. Take it from people here that a well rounded education is invaluable, socially, financially and emotionally.

No not really because believe it or not I cannot change the world.

Religious Studies would not have benefited me at all. How do you know that it would benefit me?

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am the brightest candle on the cake ;) thanks.

If someone doesn't want to learn the world of religious rubbish then they don't have to.

If someone doesn't want to learn the world of religious rubbish then they don't have to.

Your 'ignorance' is ruining the world.

Can you not see that it is our ignorance that is causing these people to do these acts of evil? :)

Now you see, There's another one of your contradictions. To be ignorant of something is to be unaware of it, to not know it. Now if that is ruining the world, isnt that an argument to educate yourself?

Am not arguing with you, mainly because that would imply taking the opposite position, and you seem to be occupying both sides :)

Now you see, There's another one of your contradictions. To be ignorant of something is to be unaware of it, to not know it. Now if that is ruining the world, isnt that an argument to educate yourself?

Am not arguing with you, mainly because that would imply taking the opposite position, and you seem to be occupying both sides :)

I think you will find I were being sarcastic.

You shouldn't have to learn a subject if you really object against it. I didn't mind studying any other subject, I just never saw the point in learning about different Religions.
Well Im talking about learning, not indoctrination, the latter I would be dead against.

But why talk about them if you don't care?

What I meant was you dont have to have a liking for a particular thing in order to learn about it.

I don't like Religion so I won't talk about it so I don't upset anyone.

If its any consolation, I dont like religion either, but I still respect the opinions of those who do and would prefer to challenge or agree with what they say on the basis of some knowledge. For example, my partner's sister is a card carrying Catholic teacher in a Catholic school, she's fantastic but has some fairly traditional ideas on teaching as you can imagine, but it helps me talk to her by having a basic knowledge of what she believes and why she's motivated that way.

It is Religion that has made this world so messed up! If people didn't believe so much in things what are absolutely mental then there wouldn't be a problem.

I agree, but shutting your eyes to it wont make it go away!

Take the Qu'ran for instance, it reads in there that if a woman commits adultery then she will be stoned to death.

How do you know that and would you know if other religions have the same or different view without learning about them?

What about the Pastor who were going to burn all those the Qu'rans? Then Muslims were going to burn the American Flag? Religion is messing the world up, not ignorance.

All idiots, but the vast majority of representatives of their faiths think the same as we do about these events.

Education Reform Act 1988

9 Exceptions, special arrangements and supplementary and consequential provisions

(3)If the parent of any pupil in attendance at any maintained school requests that he may be wholly or partly excused—

(a)from attendance at religious worship in the school;

(b)from receiving religious education given in the school in accordance with the school’s basic curriculum; or

©both from such attendance and from receiving such education;

the pupil shall be so excused accordingly until the request is withdrawn.

Education Reform Act 1988

9 Exceptions, special arrangements and supplementary and consequential provisions

(3)If the parent of any pupil in attendance at any maintained school requests that he may be wholly or partly excused—

(a)from attendance at religious worship in the school;

(b)from receiving religious education given in the school in accordance with the school’s basic curriculum; or

©both from such attendance and from receiving such education;

the pupil shall be so excused accordingly until the request is withdrawn.

That's one reform act that I'd happily reform, especially section 3(b).

I may have agreed at one point until the school decided i was a biggot for not wanting him to take part. That for me was all the info i needed.

Mmmm ... sounds more like you're having a paddy because the school said you were a bigot, rather than considering what's actually best for your son.

Perhaps you should try and take your own outraged feelings out of the equation, and read what some of the other posters have said about the benefits of learning about and understanding different religions.

Archived