Easyjet pulls out of Robin Hood airport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11260809

Doncaster Robin Hood Airport: Easyjet to end flights

Easyjet has announced it is pulling out of Doncaster's Robin Hood Airport just five months after launching services in South Yorkshire.

In a statement, Easyjet said: "We can confirm we will be ceasing to fly from Doncaster Sheffield Airport having decided to transfer the aircraft to an alternative base airport elsewhere in the UK.

"The one aircraft that operated from Doncaster Sheffield Airport will be absorbed back into the schedule of flights operating from Liverpool Airport."

What I don't understand is why it didn't work, the runway is big enough to take big planes, flying anywhere in the world, so why did they only do flights to Spain and Tenereefee ?

Flights London, Paris, Munich would have been excellent from there.

Easyjet are doing well at the minute too:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/city-news/2010/09/07/easyjet-passenger-numbers-take-off-115875-22543743/

There were fewer seats to be had on easyJet's planes last month after a 400,000 jump in passenger numbers.

So I'm wondering where the fault lies? Is this history repeating - Sheffield City and KLM?

Edit:

http://news.flightmapping.com/10/09/10/easyjet-scraps-doncaster-flights_2576.html

The no-frills airline only launched flights from Doncaster five months ago, but poor ticket sales have prompted easyJet to pull out of the South Yorkshire airport.

its not surprising ,doncaster is a mickey mouse set up . the powers that be just thought airlines and passengers would flock to doncaster just becuase they had a big runway . i know because as a frequent business flyer at the time i had some input to the consultative process . they had no realisation its more about the convience of flights and infrastructure than open an airport and "they will come " . we fly to mallorca quite a bit via manchester as the flights were not middle of the night compared to donny and we can take the train

The hardest thing about the airport is getting to it. It might be physically closer to us than East Midlands or Manchester but takes longer to get too.

I don't know anyone who has used it, and if Sheffielders aren't using it the only catchment area is Doncaster... Which lets be honest isn't exactly large enough to warrant its own airport.

The hardest thing about the airport is getting to it. It might be physically closer to us than East Midlands or Manchester but takes longer to get too.

I don't know anyone who has used it, and if Sheffielders aren't using it the only catchment area is Doncaster... Which lets be honest isn't exactly large enough to warrant its own airport.

flew to mallorca in june ,at least 30%of the flight juding by the t-shirts were from south yorkshire

I have used it, but I would not choose it in preference to East Midlands or Manchester, because as you say it is no easier to get to than either of those. It desperately needs a Junction 3A built from the M18 onto the A638 - that would cut journey times from Sheffield by nearly twenty minutes.

Archived