Why is Dianne Abbott being weird, she's not racist is she?

Andrew Neil grilled her on why she aparently said "West Indian mums will go to the wall for their children". Now i can't see how that in itself is a racist comment, but Andrew neil was making out that she was implying that Black mums love their kids more than, say, white mums, which again i thought was a bit unreasanable and unfair.

Now, surely Dianne could have easily put this to rest by simply saying that of course she wasn't saying that Black mums love their kids more than white mums, but when Andrew Neil repeatedly prompted her to do just that, she repeatedly rufused to do so, saying, "Andrew, i have nothing more to say on it".

Very strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJjn5V0yPtg

Culturally, West Indians do tend to have much stronger family values, on the whole.

In general terms I do believe you're right, although in a life-or-death situation, I believe the willingness to sacrifice their own life for their child is common to nearly all mothers across the world, and no more pronounced in West Indians than anywhere else.

In general terms I do believe you're right, although in a life-or-death situation, I believe the willingness to sacrifice their own life for their child is common to nearly all mothers across the world, and no more pronounced in West Indians than anywhere else.

I agree that is pretty much universal.

She is not afraid to show her pride in her West Indian background.

We British should also show our pride in being British.

Have I missed something? Is Diane Abbott not British?

Diane Abbot has been forced to apologise for a number of comments which some consider to be racist while others accept they do come close and are ill advised.

I personally don't think she is a racist, she just doesn't think before speaking which is refreshing in an age where MP's wont comment on anything through fear of being misrepresented by the media.

Archived