Oh La La. The French meaning

My son and I have a secret meaning for "Oh La La", meaning "girls blouse"

When in France on holiday I went to a deil counter and asked for a bit of meat which we were going to use for crab fishing.

The young girl behind the deli counter was (in my opinion) stunning and after getting him to ask for the meat in French, he looked straight at her and said "Oh La La" in the most seductive way, clenching his fist and bending his elbow in a Benny Hill style.

She went bright red, so did I, we all laughed hystericaly, and my son had a proud look on his face.

We both left but the good looking girl was still laughing and "red".

What does "Oh La La" mean in this context?

I know it may be "saucy" but is it MORE than saucy?

My son and I have a secret meaning for "Oh La La", meaning "girls blouse"

When in France on holiday I went to a deil counter and asked for a bit of meat which we were going to use for crab fishing.

The young girl behind the deli counter was (in my opinion) stunning and after getting him to ask for the meat in French, he looked straight at her and said "Oh La La" in the most seductive way, clenching his fist and bending his elbow in a Benny Hill style.

She went bright red, so did I, we all laughed hystericaly, and my son had a proud look on his face.

We both left but the good looking girl was still laughing and "red".

What does "Oh La La" mean in this context?

I know it may be "saucy" but is it MORE than saucy?

Im sure its OOh La La rather than Oh La La. I think it means Very Nice !!;)

Could be like our English Woolf Whistle.
I don't think so ... a wolf whistle is innocuous, that gesture is, as PT says, just vulgar and embarrassing. No wonder the British abroad have such a bad reputation.

I always thought that oooh la, la! was a made-up English thing. Do the French really ever say it?

I don't think so ... a wolf whistle is innocuous, that gesture is, as PT says, just vulgar and embarrassing. No wonder the British abroad have such a bad reputation.

I always thought that oooh la, la! was a made-up English thing. Do the French really ever say it?

Could just do with Waltheof now, as he would know the meaning of it.:)

Could just do with Waltheof now, as he would know the meaning of it.:)
Well, we don't really, we know what it 'means'. It's used to show surprise or approval, or, humorously, to suggest that something is scandalous :D It literally just means "Oh, the, the!

I'd think the embarrassment and blushing would be caused by the use of the arm gesture rather than saying ooh la la. I mean how would any young girl feel if some random kid encouraged by his leering papa did something like that when she was serving them in a shop? How very chavvy!

oh lala is a "frenchism" which literally translated means "oh, the-the / there-there", but generally is taken to mean "oh my goodness!"

(In most of the different inflections as in "Oh my, I'm shocked!" "Oh my what a pleasant surprise...!" )

The French do say it but not as much as you will hear the phrase "Alors!" which is used as punctuation very much like we English speakers would pepper out sentences with "erm, er... um..."

In French, the exclamation "Sacre Bleu!" (Literally "Holy blue!") is almost offensive to the point of beyond the pale. - sort of like using a c-bomb *cough* in conversation with your maiden great aunt maude! The phrase "Tiens!" is a sort of "gosh!" or "blimey!"

Well, we don't really, we know what it 'means'. It's used to show surprise or approval, or, humorously, to suggest that something is scandalous :D It literally just means "Oh, the, the!

I'd think the embarrassment and blushing would be caused by the use of the arm gesture rather than saying ooh la la. I mean how would any young girl feel if some random kid encouraged by his leering papa did something like that when she was serving them in a shop? How very chavvy!

Yes, like something from a Benny Hill tv show.:rolleyes:

Archived