Any advice on hearing aids?

I recently had a "hearing health check" at Boots and was told that i had moderate hearing loss in one ear (no suprise there) and slightly below average in the other (very suprised!). Apparently, its high frequency sounds that I find difficult to hear and apparently a hearing aid will help. It was a relief to hear actually, as I now know that I haven't been imaganing it and sometimes I really struggle, especially in noisy environments. I know what the cause is (in the bad ear anyway) I had a mastoid ectomy as a child as the bone behind my ear was infected (had loads of ear infections that my gp at the time didnt like pescribing antibiotics for and just used to give me ear drops :mad:).

Anyway, the reason I went through Boots rather than being referred by my gp is because its just more conveniant for me, and its free. Now I'm aware that hearing aids are very expensive and something I cant afford at the moment. So, I'm wondering whether to ask to be referred (which I knwo will take months) or to join some kind of health scheme that will cover some of the cost of a hearing aid through Boots.

Does anyone know what the hearing aids on the nhs are like? Would I get a better one if I paid? Will probably find out more at my second appointment, but just want to be clued up before I go, so any advice would be much appreciated :)

Go to your GP and ask for a proper earing check, it maybe that a hearing aid is not correct for your condition, or there may be an alternative. Plus you would have then reading of any hearing loss and a professional opinion to the remidy.

The hearing tests at Boots are carried out by qualified hearing aid audiologists, and I have to admit, I was very pleased with the way the test was carried out. I sat in a sound proof room, and saw the results on a graph on his computer straight after (was a bit shocking to see how the line curved down for my left ear :-( ) and he spent alot of time explaianing things to me aswell. If i'd have thought it wasnt a proper "set up" lol, I would be definately be going to see my gp. The next test will take up to an hour apparently, and will check things like bone density via vibrations. If I'm not satisfied for some reason though, I'll go to the gp. Thanks for the reply :)

Go to your GP and ask for a proper earing check, it maybe that a hearing aid is not correct for your condition, or there may be an alternative. Plus you would have then reading of any hearing loss and a professional opinion to the remidy.

Can earings cause hearing problems? If so, get them checked immediately.

i ave a nhs digital hearing aid.its brill i would get a referral from Ur gp i have the same problem as u do the hearing dpt at the hallamshire are really good,if Ur having problems with Ur hearing aid(that's when u get one)they will gladly sort you out.i highly recommend it.

I'm having the same kind if problem, I look after my grandad and his hearing has always been poor but recently getting worse at the min he's got a hearing amplifier thing it's kind of like ear phones which plug in to a little box which he keeps in his shirt pocket (from eBay), but as his hearing getting worse these no longer help he cannot wear a hearing aid as his ears fill up with discharge really quickly so I need to find him something that doesn't actually go in the ear if anyone knows of anything

Archived