Any advice on hearing aids?

My daughter has a hearing aid.

Since the age of five she has had 6 major operations on both her ears. She suffers from chronic suppurative otitis media with cholesteatoma in both ears. It's the choesteatoma which is the deadliest.

Anyhow, every hearing problem is different and each one warrants a different aid. These days you don't get massive ones which everyone can see. No-one at my daughter's school realised she wore an aid until she told them. The consultant surgeon who prescribed the aid didn't even realise she had it in during one of her appointments and tried to stick his light stick thingy (real technical term that!) down her ear.

Now you know there really is a problem, I would suggest you go to the consultant - not because I think you may have been mis-diagnosed, but because the NHS have no interest in selling a product to you. They will only give you what you really need. Whereas a private firm, no matter how well you've been diagnosed, may try to sell you the all singing all dancing model, when it may not be what you need.

The smile of delight the day my daughter had her aid fitted for the first time says how well hearing aids can help. Her words were 'I can hear mum', it brought tears to my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived