Stolen propery advice needed

I had a few items stolen out of my home a few weeks ago police was informed I had a good idea who had taken it (a family member) but could not prove this now know it was them as they have confesed to me I know which shop they sold it to how do I go abuot trying to get my property back from shop if they not already sold it on I have proff of purchase for items

1.Report the family member to the police and ask them to recover the property

2 If you are not prepared to do the above then accept you have lost your stuff

Sorry to be so blunt but why should the shopkeeper lose out just to keep your family member out of trouble ?

shop handling stolen goods could spring to mind

Handling stolen goods is why I asked question first don't these shops need proff that these items they are buying belong to the person selling it other wise any theif could have an easy out let for their stolen goods and also I just wanted to know if I could go my self to the shop with my receipts to claim back my property

IF the recipt has a serial number for the goods, go into the shop and ask for them back, if they refuse, call the police on them for handling stolen goods, im sure they will quickly change their minds and give them back to you.

The shop will also have cctv so they will easily be able to identify who brought them in to sell!!

Many shops buy on good will. Those selling would need to look suspicious or act suspicious. For expensive items it is usual for shops to ask for ID. But this is easy to do for a relative especially. Thwe shop is not obliged to return the goods, Anyone could walk in and demand the goods are theirs even with receipts. It could be a con. You need to tell the shop owner that they are stolen goods and not to sell them on. Then ring the police straight away. Once you have informed the shop owner that they are stolen he cannot sell them or he could be charged with handling. The Police will recover the items for you. Then you must make a statement to this effect and give all the information you have including the relatives name and details. After the investigation is over then your goods will be returned to you

you should go into the shop with your proof and if they still have the items they will give you them back, but they will phone the police with the details given by whoever sold them. if they have sold it on the chances of you getting anything back are very slim unless they keep records for sales of a certain amount.

Archived