Do any Tour Operators do tours to disaster zones?

bobbie

I'm not talking about round the world, more when there is a bad flood in the UK. Do any operators take people to these areas to tour and observe people as they deal with whats happened when a flood or hurricane has struck?

If not, I may be setting up a company called "disaster tours" renting out a mini bus a going to these areas. With Climate Change causing wilder weather patterns, there has to be a market for people to leer at others misfortune

We don't get hurricanes in the UK, apart from the Battle of Britain type.

Not sure if it was just a myth but I read somewhere you could pay and go on a hunting trip to Bosnia/Croatia when the war was on and hunt civilians.

I went several times after the war had ended but most people I mentioned it to thought the war was still raging and that I was *brave* even as late as the mid 2000's because 'people keep getting shot all the time'. :loopy:

Much of the coast was repaired by the time I got there but Mostar in B&H was still a mess. I wasn't there voyeuristically (I hope) but it was a sobering life lesson seeing it all nonetheless - just as the Iraq war started, which was a bit of a headf***.

It was at least refreshing to go somewhere where your tourist money was genuinely needed and the welcome was genuine rather than jaded.

And yes, in one of the local magazines I read-for-gist that people had gone there during the war on mercenary adventures. I hope the experience made them grow up, even if that had to happen the hard way.

Archived