The horror of live TV

actually seeing those people jumping from the burning towers was just awful

I think up until that point we could fool ourselves that it was a tragedy involving a building, and everyone had got out.

I was watching a documentary last week about it with my son and it was the first time he'd really sat down to understand it, he was shocked when he saw the 'jumpers' and realised how many people had died and couldn't comprehend how they couldn't get out in time.

actually seeing those people jumping from the burning towers was just awful

I agree, for me that was the most horrific aspect of watching it, probably because we all questioned ourselves as to what we would do in such a horrendous situation; jump several hundred feet to a certain death or burn alive, if the smoke didn't get you beforehand? I hate rubbernecking and normally shy away from such horrors, but there was something compelling about this.

I will also never forget the Sunday Times front page that week, a full sized picture of the 'falling man'. Horrific.

Obviously in same age group as can remember them all (except JFK murder). The Twin Towers ahd the most impact on me, maybe because I was a little older then, but can remember the SAS swinging through the windows of the embassy, and that is without the benefit of youtube. Off now to have a look if there any on there....BRB

Yes because like the JFK one, that was a murder taking place.

Yes.

The families of the jumpers were furious when some media said they had committed suicide.

They were murdered.

Who wouldn't choose the means of their death as being relatively quick compared with being burned alive?

They were murdered, it wasn't suicide.

Yes.

The families of the jumpers were furious when some media said they had committed suicide.

They were murdered.

Who wouldn't choose the means of their death as being relatively quick compared with being burned alive?

They were murdered, it wasn't suicide.

God looking at the YouTube videos it didn't seem quick!! Imagine the Hell of that decision?? These poor, poor people?

I agree, for me that was the most horrific aspect of watching it, probably because we all questioned ourselves as to what we would do in such a horrendous situation; jump several hundred feet to a certain death or burn alive, if the smoke didn't get you beforehand?

I think I'd be seeking out someone in possession of illegal substances and lots of them, that is the kind of dilemma you can never fully contemplate.

It was just a few weeks after Bradford, and I recall sitting down to watch Liverpool v Juventus on the TV which turned out to be a horror story instead.

:sad:

Was that the Heysel stadium disaster? That was another horrendous sight, and left a cloud hanging over Liverpool fans.

Archived