Abbey Lane Coaches

SUTman

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone any memories of Abbey Lane Motor Services (Beauchief Coaches) of Abbey Lane around 1930-1953?

Hi, there SUTMAN,my uncle,FRED SAVAGE worked at beauchief coaches around 1953,i believe.He was on the WALESBY run i think? a few years later when i was driving long distance for RILEYS at intake, i was down south at some REED paper mill,when a guy came over to me showed me his I.D. and said i am a ministry of transport inspector,i would like to see your log book and check your vehicle over.lorry was abrand new T.K.BEDFORD,so no problems there.We got talking about SHEFFIELD,and he said he used to be a mechanic for BEAUCHIEF COACHES. never did look at my log book.(thank goodness) uncle fred said he was a great mechanic. does the name HUTCHINSON ring a bell? sorry its another kodak moment. bye for now.eightlegger

Thanks eightlegger and Runningman for the info. The only people I know of who worked at Beauchief Coaches were George Betts (engineer), George Baines (driver), Tom Hill "Woodlice" (bodyman), Bert Marshall (driver), George Withers (driver). The company itself was taken over by SUT in 1953. Regarding Eightlegger talking of RILEY's of Intake, did you know that Ralph Riley went to drive for SUT after their firm sadly ceased trading? I have a couple of photos of their lorries but not of a Bedford TK

Beauchief Coaches. Such happy days Beachief King, Beachief queen, Beachief Monarch, Beachief Princess, Yes I remember them. Yellow and Green coachwork I passed the end of Abbey lane,only yesterday . I looked down into the yard where they were garaged,and wondered how they got them down They used to take us on our camping holiday to Theddlethorpe(Chapel st Lenards) from Manor Lane School But I am talking about 1936 or Seven Oyes, I remember Beachief Coaches As I said, Happy days

Hello Eight Legger If you are talking about log books in 1953, I think you mean log SHEETS.. If you remember,log books were single sheets If you worked over your twelve hours ,you tore it up and filled another one I got checked at Scotch Corner comming down from Glasgow Lies all lies I usd to go to school with Ralph Riley Happy Days

I think log books came into use around the same time as the HGV license came out as I was very conscientious and poor at writing so I used to end up making them all out again at the end of the week after having several attempts each day as I would not have liked the office staff to have got their hands mucky off my log sheets ? Eightlegger I might have had a few lifts with you when I was at Pickfords in the 60s and 70s as did my old man ( Big Jock ) as I can recall you at Ross as well on Barrow Road.

Hello Eight Legger If you are talking about log books in 1953, I think you mean log SHEETS.. If you remember,log books were single sheets If you worked over your twelve hours ,you tore it up and filled another one I got checked at Scotch Corner comming down from Glasgow Lies all lies I usd to go to school with Ralph Riley Happy Days

Hi; MILTED. glad to know you. Yes you are quite right, i did mean log sheets,as i said the inspector and i got talking about SHEFFIELD and BEAUCHIEF COACHES,so he never mentioned log sheets again. thanks again milted, will catch you later, eightlegger.

I think log books came into use around the same time as the HGV license came out as I was very conscientious and poor at writing so I used to end up making them all out again at the end of the week after having several attempts each day as I would not have liked the office staff to have got their hands mucky off my log sheets ? Eightlegger I might have had a few lifts with you when I was at Pickfords in the 60s and 70s as did my old man ( Big Jock ) as I can recall you at Ross as well on Barrow Road.

Hi there phantom 309,nice to know you .You possibly could have had a lift from me at sometime or another ,but i never worked for ROSS, a couple of my mates worked for them,DAVE PUMMER(wish i could get in touch with him), bryan1943 also worked at ROSS.I didn"t there was another bloke around that looked like me,poor sod??.catch you later,eightlegger.

Archived