Are dads needed or are they an optional extra?

I fully agree. A father figure is key in a child's development, the fact that the men who father children don't wish to be part of their child's upbringing is their loss and a disservice to their child.

I'll get flamed to Hell for this but I'm of the firm opinion that one person raising a child is second best to a balanced partnership raising them. The kid needs that interaction, guidance, stability & grounding to have a reasonable upbringing.

so why a system that says otherwise?

ah, :| it happens.

another interesting point is stepdads, hard to know what to say. raw deal or ace deal?

My son's step dad is an ace stepdad. He's been a stepdad for 18 years. When my son gratuated in July all three of his parents attended the ceremony. My son chose to have his step dad on his official graduation photographs.

My son's step dad is an ace stepdad. He's been a stepdad for 18 years. When my son gratuated in July all three of his parents attended the ceremony. My son chose to have his step dad on his official graduation photographs.

sounds like the real deal to me, not an optional extra at all.

all of them, but the family court system was what i was thinking of at the time.

Prosocial ********. It's thinktank sponsored tomfoolery "Because one woman can do it means all women can raise a child sucessfully on their own".

If Fathers were redundant then women would be able to inpregnate themselves, however, they can't so the Father is still assured of a role should he wish to undertake it (and if he doesn't then he an oxygen thief) but the current thinking says that even in spite of the failure rate for broken homes raising decent kids you can do it.

It’s a sad reflection on todays family life that the question even needs to be asked.
My aunty once commented that if half the dads who had gone to court for the right to take their kids to the park and MaccyD's at the weekends had done so in the first place, they wouldn't have been in this position at all

everything in life is too disposable now :shakes:

Prosocial ********. It's thinktank sponsored tomfoolery "Because one woman can do it means all women can raise a child sucessfully on their own".

If Fathers were redundant then women would be able to inpregnate themselves, however, they can't so the Father is still assured of a role should he wish to undertake it (and if he doesn't then he an oxygen thief) but the current thinking says that even in spite of the failure rate for broken homes raising decent kids you can do it.

what about a system that keeps dads away from kids, just because the mum wants it that way ??

Archived