Changing careers.. how easy is it?

Having struggled for work since the beginning of the recession I have finally come to the realisation that I cannot spend the rest of my life stuck in an office staring at a computer screen all day. The trouble is I still, almost 20 years after leaving school, have not the slightest idea what it is I want to do for a living.

I need to do something active, preferably outdoors if possible, but something that challenges me to use my brain (which I am told is one of my strengths despite a pretty shocking academic record) but just trying to find out what possibilities there are is a real headache in itself, let alone making a committment to any of them.

Has anyone on here ever made a total career change? If so, how did you go about deciding what direction you wanted to go in and how has it worked out for you?

Are you still in work? If so its pretty difficult if what you want to do involves some form of education or training because you'll almost certainly have to pay for it

Yeah this is one of the biggest problems I am facing. I work full-time and I don't think it would be financially possible for me to quit and go back to full-time education. So I either need to do a part-time course in something or start again at the very bottom in a different industry and get on-the-job training.

This is a dilema many people face. I would love a change of career, although like you I don't know what I want to do. However, the reality is that most careers require 1+ years of full time education which will require paying for and in the meantime how do you manage without an income?

I wish I could offer you some advice but I think you will find lots of people are in the same boat. Maybe you could enhance or improve the skills you already have to make yourself more unique to the market and thus gain a better paid job.

Archived