Election court sits over Phil Woolas result in Oldham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11279956

A defeated Liberal Democrat candidate is mounting a legal challenge to the re-election of former immigration minister Phil Woolas as an MP.

Elwyn Watkins is asking two High Court judges to order a re-run of May's Oldham East and Saddleworth poll. He claims the general election vote was swayed by Labour leaflets containing false claims about foreign donations and support from Muslim extremists.

Mr Woolas, who won with a majority of just 103 votes, denies the allegations. He says he will "robustly defend" himself.

If found guilty, Mr Woolas could be fined and barred from public office.

Labour should sack him.

The campaign was a disgrace, whether legal or not there should be no place for lying racists in any party.

Maybe the BNP will have him... there is plenty of space left after purging the party of those doubtful of their fuhrer's right to pocketing membership money.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2010/08/phil-woolas-election-leaflets/

Do you understand what the case is about?

Yes thanks. The point I was trying to put across was that many many Labour MPs put out nasty smear letters during the campaign (although I didn't see one as vile as this).

In my constituency they sent several saying "don't waste your vote, the Conservatives cannot win here.". Guess what, the Conservatives won!

Yes thanks. The point I was trying to put across was that many many Labour MPs put out nasty smear letters during the campaign (although I didn't see one as vile as this).

In my constituency they sent several saying "don't waste your vote, the Conservatives cannot win here.". Guess what, the Conservatives won!

That sounds like wishful thinking and nothing like what Woolas's campaign was doing

I'm not sure of the reason for your posts questioning my replies. As a North West party member I'm fully aware of the matter and saw the leaflets first hand at the time.

Because you have either completely missed what was exceptional about Woolas's campaign, or you are trying to distract from it.

Archived