Old school friends from hinde house or hucklow road

ozgirl

Hi Dougie, Yes I saw Glen at Morrisons Meadowhead. I live just down form the church. I remember Carol Slack but not her brother. I think the Godwin brothers lived next door to Pat Hall on Vickers Road, and she was dark haired and tallish not small and blonde. Some more names for you, Doreen White, Joan Kipling, Rachael Lunney, Angela Adams, Graham Carr, Peter Farrell, David turner, Peter Nile. Peter Clarkson and George Pridmore. I'll keep thinking. A few teachers, Mr Lord who taught religious education, very apt name. We used to call him creeping Jesus. Mrs Turner who taught History and used to sit on the desk showing her legs to the boys. I think that Mr Ridgeway sadly died recently. Do you remember Mr Hook? he took us for English and I thought he was wonderful, he taught us more about life than anyone and was very irreverent, and upset many a parent. He took us to Stratford to the Shakespeare theatre once and called us all prostitutes for wearing nail polish. The school was besieged by angry mothers and he had to apologise to us all.There was another art teacher, a really ferocious lady but have forgotten her name. She live a few doors away from me and I was terrified of doing wrong if she was around. Think she was the only car owner around so we got out of her way when she took to the road. Memories.
HI Mr Ridgeway did in fact die about a year or so ago. It was on Friends reunited.

Miss Turpin??

now then Edmund, if I remember correctly, miss Turpin had straight black hair, and boobs like Joan Sims, in a blue twin set .We had a crazy old lady art teacher, I think her name was miss taylor, she used to wear bright red lipstick. I was on the bus one time going down past law courts towards ladys bridge , I was on front seat upstairs , when the bus stoped sharply , throwing me against the frontwindow . It was the afore said stepping out in front of the bus. that was last time I saw her.anybody remember mr ward , tall thin guy ,small black tash, curly hair, he had a little fiat 500 ., nice guy would give me a lift if he saw me walking to school.

MR Ward was a PE teacher this is from friends reunited might jog some meories.

Mr Edwards - sadistic

Oliver Maurer - my last form tutor - taught Maths in a non-threatening way - nice bloke

Mr Sellars - Geography - 'Smokey Joe' because he was always late for lessons and when he would finally arrive he would stink of fags

Mr Pemberton - Maths - always known as 'Spam'

Mr Hill - History - another evil and scary sort

Looking back, it seems that HH attracted either old teachers on their way out (mentally and physically) or student teachers dropped into a school with a dodgy catchment.

Just remembered another sadist - Ridgeway, who taught woodwork.

A totally uninspiring school for me - I achieved everything academically (Law degree) as an adult under my own steam

Andrew Oxley replied 7th Sep 2011

Mark Littlewood

Had a lot of time for those teachers who had that rare skill for getting the best out of you by getting to know you rather than resorting to scare tactics as first call. Exponents of the former would be Mick Glover, Dave Ward, Mr Wainwright, Mr Short, Mr Mowrer (spelling ?). Numerous could be placed in the latter category but special mention go's to Edwards who systematically seeked out younger boys making minor transgressions and beat the S**t out of them. Having spoke to some teachers it is clear that his staff room social skills were on a par with his teaching. In my second week there the caped crusadist spotted me without my books out whilst waiting for my teacher. Using the words of that famous football commentary, "he gave me one hell of a beating". I was only saved when he tried to cut off my air supply with my tie. It was the only time I was grateful for my mothers crummy clip on tie which coming off in his hand seemed to distract and confuse him sufficiently to make him leave me alone and trot over to give Ian Finch a sound thrashing. From then on when ever he passed my classroom I would lie on the floor and pretend to be dead, this seemed to work fine.

George Ridgway

Sadly, my Dad, George Ridgway passed away on Saturday 2nd March 2013.

MR Ward was a PE teacher this is from friends reunited might jog some meories.

Mr Edwards - sadistic

Oliver Maurer - my last form tutor - taught Maths in a non-threatening way - nice bloke

Mr Sellars - Geography - 'Smokey Joe' because he was always late for lessons and when he would finally arrive he would stink of fags

Mr Pemberton - Maths - always known as 'Spam'

Mr Hill - History - another evil and scary sort

Looking back, it seems that HH attracted either old teachers on their way out (mentally and physically) or student teachers dropped into a school with a dodgy catchment.

Just remembered another sadist - Ridgeway, who taught woodwork.

A totally uninspiring school for me - I achieved everything academically (Law degree) as an adult under my own steam

Andrew Oxley replied 7th Sep 2011

Mark Littlewood

Had a lot of time for those teachers who had that rare skill for getting the best out of you by getting to know you rather than resorting to scare tactics as first call. Exponents of the former would be Mick Glover, Dave Ward, Mr Wainwright, Mr Short, Mr Mowrer (spelling ?). Numerous could be placed in the latter category but special mention go's to Edwards who systematically seeked out younger boys making minor transgressions and beat the S**t out of them. Having spoke to some teachers it is clear that his staff room social skills were on a par with his teaching. In my second week there the caped crusadist spotted me without my books out whilst waiting for my teacher. Using the words of that famous football commentary, "he gave me one hell of a beating". I was only saved when he tried to cut off my air supply with my tie. It was the only time I was grateful for my mothers crummy clip on tie which coming off in his hand seemed to distract and confuse him sufficiently to make him leave me alone and trot over to give Ian Finch a sound thrashing. From then on when ever he passed my classroom I would lie on the floor and pretend to be dead, this seemed to work fine.

George Ridgway

Sadly, my Dad, George Ridgway passed away on Saturday 2nd March 2013.

Although I didn't do woodwork, I thought George Ridgeway was a great guy , he didn't like people being in his wood work shop on pain of death, I was in there between lessons with a couple of mates of mine and something got broken , cannot remember what , but he held an investigation and I owned up to being in there between lessons , expecting to be beaten to death, he could wield the slipper mightily good[ that's when teachers could beat you within an inch of your life legaly, well he didn't and I remember that with affection.Im sure iremember him doing trampoline club after school with miss howe [phwoar] . didn't particularly like school academically, but I suppose things are always better looking back .I would love to go back for a week or so just to see old friends again .

---------- Post added 13-02-2016 at 21:23 ----------

Im sorry to hear about mr RIDGEWAY, RESPECT TO HIM, but I guess we,re all getting old [im 70 next] and I don't suppose we will live forever, but I hope people remember me like im sure they will remember him . GOD BLESS .

---------- Post added 13-02-2016 at 21:30 ----------

Of course, MissTurpin, remember now.

YES heather, now I remember art teacher, very artistic .Funny ,but how things jog our memorys,im sure photos would remind us.

just to let you know there were some comments posted about Mr Ridgeway and he was thought of as a firm but fair teacher which I think sums him up perfectly. One strange thing I remember about him is a production of the Caucasian Chalk Circle in the lower school. He did a impression of a baby crying perfectly and loudly. Strange thing to remember but I can see him doing it now all those years ago.

Any body remember Mr Andrews, ginger hair, took us for football , was the manager of Sheffield boys.Think he conducted school choir also . He came up from Wincobank school on Newman rd, with miss Bedford.?

---------- Post added 17-02-2016 at 20:53 ----------

Of course, MissTurpin, remember now.

Heather, ive had a few more names come to mind. teachers, mr Laver, was he the guy who came to school on a bike, ihave a memory of a tall well built teacher who I think took us for p e , I can see him in my head , but the name escapes me, another just popped into my head, mr Gill was the guy with grey hair and thick glasses ,bit strange?. Did you know Pauline Fletcher, I think she was in the year above us, I thought she was lovely.Brian Swallow knew her, who your bro Allan new , from Hucklow. she lived at Harthill, where Brian owned a garage.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone remember when, at hinde house 1958-1963, the boys were renovating or building a motor bike in the metalwork room and one lad started it up and went through the wall to the woodwork room. Laughed our heads off at the time. I don’t remember if anyone was hurt, hope not.