Ofsted and SEN accurate or not ?

Soooooo lets start another teacher bashing topic.

I think this Ofsted opinion is very near to the truth.

SEN is a cop out for poor teaching and more funding. It's about time that this has been diagnosed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Special-Needs-Ofsted-Says-Half-Of-Children-Identified-With-Special-Needs-Are-Wrongly-Diagnosed/Article/201009215727325?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15727325_Special_Needs%3A_Ofsted_Says_Half_Of_Children_Identified_With_Special_Needs_Are_Wrongly_Diagnosed

Interesting. There does seem to be alot of kids diagnosed who in the past were just labelled disruptive and naughty. However the increase might be due to better understanding and awareness of these conditions. There will be misdiagnoses but who carries out the assessments? Its not just the teachers is it? There are independent people involved.

Soooooo lets start another teacher bashing topic.

I think this Ofsted opinion is very near to the truth.

SEN is a cop out for poor teaching and more funding. It's about time that this has been diagnosed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Special-Needs-Ofsted-Says-Half-Of-Children-Identified-With-Special-Needs-Are-Wrongly-Diagnosed/Article/201009215727325?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15727325_Special_Needs%3A_Ofsted_Says_Half_Of_Children_Identified_With_Special_Needs_Are_Wrongly_Diagnosed

I am highly suspicious about this report as I think it may have a political angle, I think this is a fore runner of education cuts. SEN education can cost a lot to implement, and when a child is statemented the school and the LEA has a legal duty to provide an education which takes that statement in consideration.

It's interesting that a while back when the massive spending cuts were being discussed the coalition government talked about following the Canadian model, in the Canadian Model there was massive cuts to the SEN budget.

I am highly suspicious about this report as I think it may have a political angle, I think this is a fore runner of education cuts. SEN education can cost a lot to implement, and when a child is statemented the school and the LEA has a legal duty to provide an education which takes that statement in consideration.

It's interesting that a while back when the massive spending cuts were being discussed the coalition government talked about following the Canadian model, in the Canadian Model there was massive cuts to the SEN budget.

There were people on the radio this morning saying that they hadn't got the statementing they thought they should have...this was while Labour were still holding the reigns...nothing new here....

There were people on the radio this morning saying that they hadn't got the statementing they thought they should have...this was while Labour were still holding the reigns...nothing new here....

The statement is performed by health and education professionals such as psychiatrists and educational psychologists, and sometimes rightly or wrongly parents may not agree with their diagnosis. There is nothing political in this.

The statement is performed by health and education professionals such as psychiatrists and educational psychologists, and sometimes rightly or wrongly parents may not agree with their diagnosis. There is nothing political in this.

Sorry, I meant they hadn't even been assessed..not that the result of the assessment was not to their liking....

Sorry, I meant they hadn't even been assessed..not that the result of the assessment was not to their liking....

Sorry for misunderstanding your post. I say that this is a problem of a lack of funding and a lack of understanding or communication of either the parents or the teachers. The laying of the ground by OFSTED of coming cuts will only exacerbate this.

Archived