Ofsted and SEN accurate or not ?

Please tell me what benefits are given to dyslexics.

It is diagnosed, by a qualified educational psychologist.

£5161 for computer equipment (for course duration, normally at the start)

£1724 a year grant

Up to £20520 a year to have a person record their notes for them.

Their work is marked more leniently, and they are allotted extra time in exams.

So basically, you get a lot of intelligent/devious people pretending their dyslexic, they submit a badly written application form for benefit and it is awarded.

It's a disgrace, and there is also some non-jobs in the chain. Like the educational psychologist who reads the letters. And the other carcinogenic employees involved in the award of the benefit. Slowly killing the education system and state.

As long as the teaching in this country is provided with the bottom line cost in mind then anyone who doesn't fit in with that model of teaching will be labelled with something, whether that's dyslexia, ADHD or just plain naughtiness. Until teachers are taught to apply true inclusivity (that's not integration, they're totally separate concepts) then the children at all extremes of the spectrum will be failed by our system. That means the gifted being just as much at risk as those with a disability of whatever kind.

Inclusivity is the concept of offering true equality of opportunity to learners- so that means looking at each child's abilities, issues and strengths and offering them the time that they need to reach goals.

Teacher training these days is still along the pedagogical tradition and there is lots of evidence that this suits quite a wide range of learners, but this model of teaching has (and probably always will) fail children at both ends of the ability spectrum, one end who are struggling to understand and the other who are bored senseless and so get frustrated and lack motivation.

I sincerely doubt that 1 in 7 of the children have a disability, but I would imagine that 1 in 7 fall into the category of needing extra help because our model of teaching doesn't offer them inclusivity.

Sadly, bolting on a helper to a class does nothing to change a visual and auditory class into a practical one, which is what it would take to help someone with certain types of learning or developmental issues, so we're still failing them even if they have 'extra help'.

Broader teaching skills from teachers with less of a rod up their backs, a less prescriptive curriculum and more investment in teaching skills and numbers of trained teachers (not classroom assistants when a teacher is needed) to allow for smaller and more targeted groups would go some distance to offer more inclusivity in our schools, but unfortunately that would take a huge shake up of schools and budgets and somehow I can't see it happening, partly because it would mean measuring less and allowing teachers to use more of their own skills and deliver from less scripted material.

If 1 in 7 pupils struggle so much with a system that they need extra help to get through it, is it the children's fault or the system's?

1 in 5 SEN. It's 20%, that's marginally higher than the people on out of work benefit in Barnsley. And thats the future workers of this country, and there ain't many of them to begin with, and the largest amount of pensioners ever.

Were going to hit a 1:1 ratio of [working : out of work] if we carry on with this nonsense.

£5161 for computer equipment (for course duration, normally at the start)

£1724 a year grant

Up to £20520 a year to have a person record their notes for them.

Their work is marked more leniently, and they are allotted extra time in exams.

So basically, you get a lot of intelligent/devious people pretending their dyslexic, they submit a badly written application form for benefit and it is awarded.

It's a disgrace, and there is also some non-jobs in the chain. Like the educational psychologist who reads the letters. And the other carcinogenic employees involved in the award of the benefit. Slowly killing the education system and state.

Ah, so you don't mean state benefits.

Do you know that even people diagnosed with dyslexia by an educational psychologist don't automatically get extra time in exams, despite having this disadvantage?

Ah, so you don't mean state benefits.

Do you know that even people diagnosed with dyslexia by an educational psychologist don't automatically get extra time in exams, despite having this disadvantage?

It's funded by the state.

And while your on about state benefits, they can claim those too.

I am highly suspicious about this report as I think it may have a political angle, I think this is a fore runner of education cuts. SEN education can cost a lot to implement, and when a child is statemented the school and the LEA has a legal duty to provide an education which takes that statement in consideration.

It's interesting that a while back when the massive spending cuts were being discussed the coalition government talked about following the Canadian model, in the Canadian Model there was massive cuts to the SEN budget.

You hit the nail right on the head JFK!

Definately politically motivated move to cut teaching jobs.My missus who is a teacher said the same thing this morning.

So, dyslexics can claim state benefits on the grounds of them being dyslexic?

Not yet, but what you do there is you get yourself put on the sick for depression because being dyslexic is getting you down and tell them about your 'mental health problems' that have arose from being in such a position.

Hey presto bobs your uncle.

Not yet, but what you do there is you get yourself put on the sick for depression because being dyslexic is getting you down and tell them about your 'mental health problems' that have arose from being in such a position.

Hey presto bobs your uncle.

Wow, you seem to have tied loads of ill-informed prejudices into some sort of weird fantasy. Kudos.

You hit the nail right on the head JFK!

Definately politically motivated move to cut teaching jobs.My missus who is a teacher said the same thing this morning.

Quite, do you think that it is some sort of strange coincidence that Ofsted says that the number of kids wrongly labelled is around 25%, and earlier this year government departments were told to prepare for 25% cuts.

Archived