Redundancy,,best plan,,

Hi,i was made redundant this week,my last day is Friday,trouble is i haven,t been there two years so no reundancy to come,right time for this to happen,just wondering whats the best plan and how others who have been through it or are going through it have coped.

You can ask the rapid response team at the job centre for some training, trouble is they took 6 months to sort mine out! Sign on if you do not have any saving but do not expect much help, get a good CV, tailor it to different jobs when you apply, register with agencies, use on line job sites and check the job centre or their web site often. There are jobs out there, depends on what you do / want to do / are prepared to do.

Good luck.

:)

My OH is going to be made redundant. His company are in the middle of fulfilling their legal obligations to help his transition from employment to unemployment. Tomorrow he'll be attending a semiar on volunteering and leisure. Not very optimistic for someone who wants to get back in to the job market. Kwakzzr didn't you get any support from your employers? I hope that you'll get some support from the job centre. Have a search around online as well and look into training opportunities at your local college.

Hi,no support from employer what so ever,was only told yesterday that we finnish Friday,i have posted my cv on Sheffield jobsite tonight,been a mechanic for 25 years and i am now 46 so not holding my breath.

The car market has gone t---s up,might have to turn my hand to summat else,just difficult after doing the same job for so many years,thought about goin mobile with the spanners,.

Check all credit cards and loans for redundacy pay outs and support.

Try to ignore the job centre advice or criticism. They are front line but not on the breadline and sit safely on their chairs happily chewing the cud

Hit every newsagent that has a window for advertising your services which is generally a cheap way of advertising.

As well as Tesco and the rest of the supermarkets who have a board.

See what tools you have to do the jobs and the limits of the job. try to find the niche.

Don't get suckered in by courses advertised in the national newpapers promising a change of career(especially in the motor industry)

Stay open to part time work which you would not normally do but which can hold you whilst you build a career.

Check all credit cards and loans for redundacy pay outs and support.

Try to ignore the job centre advice or criticism. They are front line but not on the breadline and sit safely on their chairs happily chewing the cud

Hit every newsagent that has a window for advertising your services which is generally a cheap way of advertising.

As well as Tesco and the rest of the supermarkets who have a board.

See what tools you have to do the jobs and the limits of the job. try to find the niche.

Don't get suckered in by courses advertised in the national newpapers promising a change of career(especially in the motor industry)

Stay open to part time work which you would not normally do but which can hold you whilst you build a career.

That is a really nice, encouraging & supportive post.

Good luck to the OP. I hope you find a job that suits you soon just don't give up no matter how hard or fustrating it may become in the process of finding another job :)

Archived