Pregnant nun ice cream advert banned for 'mockery'

An ice cream company banned from using an advert displaying a pregnant nun has vowed to position similar posters in London in time for the Pope's visit.

Antonio Federici's advert showed a pregnant nun eating ice cream in a church, together with the strap line "immaculately conceived".

The Advertising Standards Authority has ordered it to be discontinued, saying it mocked Roman Catholic beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn.

The image of the 'nun' is pretty sacred to Catholics, and obviously is a representation of that woman's dedication to chastity. So to depict a nun in the latter stages of pregnancy in order to sell ice cream is taking satire a little too far in my opinion.

Of course, those with a commercial interest only consider the bottom line in terms of publicity generated and uplifts in sales, but if the advert had some political message it might at least have a moral imperative.

http://asa.org.uk/Complaints-and-ASA-action/Adjudications/2010/9/Antonio-Federici/TF_ADJ_49041.aspx

The ASA noted that the CAP Code stated that ads "should contain nothing that is likely to cause serious or widespread offence. Particular care should be taken to avoid causing offence on the grounds of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or disability. Compliance with the Code will be judged on the context, medium, audience, product and prevailing standards of decency".

The ASA decision probably means that many more people will see the advert than if there had been no complaints.

but if the advert had some political message it might at least have a moral imperative.

The Catholic Church has never involved itself in politics?

Catholic church weighs into polls

pol·i·tics (pl-tks)

2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (functioning as singular) the complex or aggregate of relationships of people in society, esp those relationships involving authority or power

Well the roman Catholic Church has certainly exercised plenty of that over the centuries.

And in the specific case of the Catholic Church, since the Vatican City is a state in its own right, that surely opens them up to criticism on a political level.

The Catholic Church has never involved itself in politics?

Catholic church weighs into polls

Well the roman Catholic Church has certainly exercised plenty of that over the centuries.

And in the specific case of the Catholic Church, since the Vatican City is a state in its own right, that surely opens them up to criticism on a political level.

Did you read what I said VB? I was suggesting the advert might have more virtue if it had a political objective, but selling ice cream??

Storm in a teacup and free "marketing budget amplification" beyond the advertiser's wildest dreams, as usual.

It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn.
It appears it doesn't take much to offend religious groups these days, even by proxy :rolleyes:

(I'm Catholic btw. And not offended in the least, in fact I'd +1 the creativity :D)

The problem is, why is it ok to mock catholics but not another religion. I can't imagine the advertising company thinking it ok to mock islamic beliefs so why catholics? Personally I think most religions insist on a sense of humour by pass when joining but we should treat all religions equally regardless. Mock one but fear mocking another? Either mock all or none regardless of whether your God was a master magician or lives in volcanoes.

Storm in a teacup and free "marketing budget amplification" beyond the advertiser's wildest dreams, as usual.

It appears it doesn't take much to offend religious groups these days, even by proxy :rolleyes:

(I'm Catholic btw. And not offended in the least, in fact I'd +1 the creativity :D)

..and I'm an atheist and my views are no more representative of the views of atheists as yours are of Catholics. ;)

My point is the advert is intended to be offensive, whether anyone derives any offence from it is a matter for them, I wouldn't necessarily call on it to be banned-I just detest the mindset that says it's ok to be crass in order to sell ice cream.

The problem is, why is it ok to mock catholics but not another religion. I can't imagine the advertising company thinking it ok to mock islamic beliefs so why catholics? Personally I think most religions insist on a sense of humour by pass when joining but we should treat all religions equally regardless. Mock one but fear mocking another? Either mock all or none regardless of whether your God was a master magician or lives in volcanoes.

It clearly isn't ok though, hence the ban.

I personally find all religion amusing and mock worthy, but that's just me!:D

Archived