Pregnant nun ice cream advert banned for 'mockery'

Well that's a matter for personal opinion, I've expressed mine, you've expressed yours, but you wouldn't be emotionally poorer if it hadn't been produced whereas there will be Catholics who will be.

It's a picture of a nun in pregnancy.

Don't worry L00b, I'm not stamping my feet about it, and I'm not easily affronted, as I said I wouldn't necessarily have banned the advert.

Then they need to get a sense of humour!

I wanted to be a nun, briefly.:gag:

If this ad campaign had genuinely wanted 'immaculate conception' as a strapline, then why didn't they just use pictures of the Virgin Mary?

In a healthy society there in no right not to be offended. The correct response to things we find stupid or offensive, in a healthy society, is to shrug our shoulders. I don't know why you place "ok to mock catholics" [people] with "not another religion" [ideas], but I guess that's how you see it from your position. It is not okay to mock catholics, but it is okay the mock the ideas of catholics or any other religion. The reason why you might think catholic ideas are mocked more often than those of a certain other religion is precisely because catholic ideas have evolved more recently in a healthy society. We should all be thankful of that, rather than have a temper tantrum and attempt to censor people that don't share those ideas.

PZ Myers puts it so much more eloquently than myself:

"Grown-ups compensate for differences between people that cause no physical harm. There is a principle of tolerance at work here, of real tolerance, where we permit others to do as they will, as long as it does not infringe on the freedom of others … and being offended or desiring to impose your morality on others is not an excuse to violate that principle."

Myers does indeed say it well. I think I may have misrepresented myself before. I pretty much agree with what you put. What I meant is that the media largely finds it acceptable to poke fun at catholics and christians but by and large. Again as your quote states "as long as it does not infringe on the freedom of others " then I see no harm in religion.

Back to the OP - I think people are too ready to be offended. People find some kind of perverse solace and strength of conviction in being offended by "none believers"

Then they need to get a sense of humour!
They might well have one, but they might see the advert as just a pop at their religion for no reason by people who have no emotional investment in it.

I wanted to be a nun, briefly.:gag:

You're not sccsux's Mum are you?? :suspect::hihi:

If this ad campaign had genuinely wanted 'immaculate conception' as a strapline, then why didn't they just use pictures of the Virgin Mary?

I guess they should be applauded for managing to restrain themselves!

Myers does indeed say it well. I think I may have misrepresented myself before. I pretty much agree with what you put. What I meant is that the media largely finds it acceptable to poke fun at catholics and christians but by and large. Again as your quote states "as long as it does not infringe on the freedom of others " then I see no harm in religion.

Back to the OP - I think people are too ready to be offended. People find some kind of perverse solace and strength of conviction in being offended by "none believers"

I didn't even know fishcake could type never mind spell, i salute you sir lol :hihi:

Personally I believe we're all too ready to cause offence, although I agree with your second statement.

Since my time on here, I've regularly seen instances where offendees have been derided for not having a sense of humour or trying to subvert freedom of expression, yet when the deriders are in a position to take offence they very quickly do so-the race issue being the best example I can think of!

Did you see the advert which featured a very sexy lady getting dressed into lingerie and high heels, does all her make up, she's hot :love: , then puts on a burqa before stepping out :(

I think the ad was for make-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoCg4wyauWY&feature=player_embedded

I don't think it was banned though was it thankfully. :love:

Personally I think alot of these ads are great for breaking down stereotypes.

Well that's a matter for personal opinion, I've expressed mine, you've expressed yours
Indeed, and that (and the following quote and reply below) goes to the very heart of Fishcake's quote of Myers.

, but you wouldn't be emotionally poorer if it hadn't been produced whereas there will be Catholics who will be.
You can't win them all. Even the Pope himself doesn't (where all Catholics are concerned).

It's a picture of a nun in pregnancy.
I know ;) And it's been done and re-done time and again, it's a really old joke.

Don't worry L00b, I'm not stamping my feet about it, and I'm not easily affronted, as I said I wouldn't necessarily have banned the advert.
Again, I realise that - I'm simply trying to play down the "It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn" angle, as I really do not believe this is the case at all. IMHO, the ban is an overreaction by the remnants of an 'over-PC-fied' system.

Archived