Pregnant nun ice cream advert banned for 'mockery'

An ice cream company banned from using an advert displaying a pregnant nun has vowed to position similar posters in London in time for the Pope's visit.

Antonio Federici's advert showed a pregnant nun eating ice cream in a church, together with the strap line "immaculately conceived".

The Advertising Standards Authority has ordered it to be discontinued, saying it mocked Roman Catholic beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn.

The image of the 'nun' is pretty sacred to Catholics, and obviously is a representation of that woman's dedication to chastity. So to depict a nun in the latter stages of pregnancy in order to sell ice cream is taking satire a little too far in my opinion.

Of course, those with a commercial interest only consider the bottom line in terms of publicity generated and uplifts in sales, but if the advert had some political message it might at least have a moral imperative.

These people need a sense of humour by-pass.

The catholic church have more important things to worry about than a poster about a nun and ice cream .

These people need a sense of humour by-pass.

The catholic church have more important things to worry about than a poster about a nun and ice cream .

The Catholic church may well have more important things to worry about, but what about Catholics? Don't you believe their sensitivities should be taken into account?

Well thank you, and I agree with your summary which is much more succinct than my ramblings.

Well thank you to you too, although I disagree, your post was not rambling!

You need not wonder. I thought this all sounded familiar, since the ad is the latest in the company’s controversial “Ice cream is our religion” campaign. Last year the ASA banned an ad by the company which showed a nun and a half-naked priest about to kiss.

Oh God, I hope this isn't going to be as annoying as the hideous BT campaign, next will we see the Nun and Priest at the Christening deliberating over names at the last minute? Some awful competition to see 'what will Mother Mother Superior and Father Father call their kid? I vote for Benedict. :gag:

Well thank you to you too, although I disagree, your post was not rambling!

Oh God, I hope this isn't going to be as annoying as the hideous BT campaign, next will we see the Nun and Priest at the Christening deliberating over names at the last minute? Some awful competition to see 'what will Mother Mother Superior and Father Father call their kid? I vote for Benedict. :gag:

Which proves my point from another thread that in order to get a (sick) laugh people twist the truth.

You have to go to church first easty, and the only one local to you is down Bramhall Lane ;)

i used to go to that little church in frecheville...it was not c of e...but you had to go sundays to sing hymns or you could not play subbuteo on a thursday night...mum went mad when i took one of their booklets home...

An ice cream company banned from using an advert displaying a pregnant nun has vowed to position similar posters in London in time for the Pope's visit.

Antonio Federici's advert showed a pregnant nun eating ice cream in a church, together with the strap line "immaculately conceived".

The Advertising Standards Authority has ordered it to be discontinued, saying it mocked Roman Catholic beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn.

The image of the 'nun' is pretty sacred to Catholics, and obviously is a representation of that woman's dedication to chastity. So to depict a nun in the latter stages of pregnancy in order to sell ice cream is taking satire a little too far in my opinion.

Of course, those with a commercial interest only consider the bottom line in terms of publicity generated and uplifts in sales, but if the advert had some political message it might at least have a moral imperative.

Having been educated by them, I find the 'image of a nun' more scary than sacred. Psychologically manipulative ads such as the ones which try to sell the idea to young women that their self worth is connected to how much they spend on hair products - ie "You're worth it" f- are more offensive to me. I am genuinely offended by them. So can we ban them as well?

Having been educated by them, I find the 'image of a nun' more scary than sacred. Psychologically manipulative ads such as the ones which try to sell the idea to young women that their self worth is connected to how much they spend on hair products - ie "You're worth it" f- are more offensive to me. I am genuinely offended by them. So can we ban them as well?

I know a lot of people who have been educated through the convent system and they are terrified of nuns, seriously.

I know a lot of people who have been educated through the convent system and they are terrified of nuns, seriously.

I wouldn't doubt it for an instance. What better group to take your frustrations out on than helpless kids for some of the twisted people who hide away in religious orders.

And as with all bad things that happen in life mature people rise above them.

Huh? It depends on the individual and their experiences. I'm sure that the women who were subjected to all kinds of horrors and harsh treatments in the Magdalene asylums would find your empathy extremely reassuring.:roll:

Archived