Pregnant nun ice cream advert banned for 'mockery'

I wouldn't doubt it for an instance. What better group to take your frustrations out on than helpless kids for some of the twisted people who hide away in religious orders.

I'm convinced that their frustration due to their utterly rigid and austere lifestyle combined with celibacy manifests all too often in all kinds of sadistic behaviours.

Huh? It depends on the individual and their experiences. I'm sure that the women who were subjected to all kinds of horrors and harsh treatments in the Magdalene asylums would find your empathy extremely reassuring.:roll:

Not forgetting war, famine, natural disasters and a sense of perspective. :)

..and I'm an atheist and my views are no more representative of the views of atheists as yours are of Catholics. ;)

My point is the advert is intended to be offensive, whether anyone derives any offence from it is a matter for them, I wouldn't necessarily call on it to be banned-I just detest the mindset that says it's ok to be crass in order to sell ice cream.

By that logic "The Life of Brian" wouldn't have stood a chance. One persons crass is another's imagination..

Not forgetting war, famine, natural disasters and a sense of perspective. :)

Natural disasters are tragic, make no mistake. Some would even call them an act of God. However, human beings inflicting unspeakable abuses and cruelties on children and young people, punishing young women and girls because they had the misfortune to be raped or believed some bloke when he promised to marry her is horrific and ruins lives. Shame on you.

Gosh, i wish i could be a love filled christian full of the spirit of the Lord like you are graham! :hihi:

My only fear is that people might build up self-generated hatred in their hearts and seriously I do worry about this fermentation of dislike against groups other than our own when really we should be looking for the good in people.

An ice cream company banned from using an advert displaying a pregnant nun has vowed to position similar posters in London in time for the Pope's visit.

Antonio Federici's advert showed a pregnant nun eating ice cream in a church, together with the strap line "immaculately conceived".

The Advertising Standards Authority has ordered it to be discontinued, saying it mocked Roman Catholic beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

It appears being gratuitously offensive to religious groups is the sport for Autumn.

The image of the 'nun' is pretty sacred to Catholics, and obviously is a representation of that woman's dedication to chastity. So to depict a nun in the latter stages of pregnancy in order to sell ice cream is taking satire a little too far in my opinion.

Of course, those with a commercial interest only consider the bottom line in terms of publicity generated and uplifts in sales, but if the advert had some political message it might at least have a moral imperative.

I would have thought that it's the wording 'immaculately concieved' was the most offensive part of the image - the pregnant nun just tops it all off... Clever campaign though - instantly banned, lots of publicity, and hardly anyone knew who this company was before...

Catholic bashing seems to have become a national sport, but then christians don't bite back do they, so I guess it's seen as safe?

Archived