Turning off the street lights

people living in rural parts DO have street lighting, where there are pavements. in the areas where there are no pavements, walking along the side of the road more often ends in death/a hospital visit!

you dont see many walking back from the village pub in lincolnshire, it's safer to drink and drive:loopy:

Rural areas have LESS lights that their city counterparts thought in the first place. For example on the street I live now, in Sheffield, there is a street light every 25 metres, while on the street where I grew up (in a village in a rural part of the UK) street lights are every 50 metres.

This turn off is not going to be all lights, as junction lights will not be turned off.

Why is Meadowhall illuminated all night when it is closed.

The fancy lights which decorate the roof, and the huge car park floodlights are reduced at about 1:00am, long after all facillities closed.

They may need some security lighting, but nothing like the amount which burns all night, 7 days a week.

I could leave my TV on standby for the rest of my life and use less power than they use in a couple of hours.

Local councils looking to cut costs,are considering turning off your street lighting

It's an interesting choice of priorities.

To my mind. local councils should just be responsible for the upkeep of roads, street lighting, council housing, rubbish collection etc. It's a tad boring and mundane a set of responsibilities but there you go.

They are not there to act as agents for social engineering, political indoctrination or "care-in-the-community" refuges for unemployable middle-managers.

So what they should be cutting down on are unnecessary (and overpaid) layers of administration, diversity outreach coordinators, women's officers and 5-a-day officers.

Councils 'could cut 500,000 jobs and not harm services'

Unfortunately I can't see many of 'em cutting it in the real world.

just google how many people were injured during WW2 during the blackouts. everyday folk were getting killed on their way home. imagine walking home from town with no lights on? it would be darker than you think:)

Carry some sort of light with you.

it'll lead to more crime i say
I tend to agree but local authorities need to look at ways of reducing their energy usage and costs. The energy costs for street lighting in the UK must be astronomical.

Having said that, it'll take a very brave person to rubberstamp the decision to switch off street lighting though.

Hmmm ... So let me get this right.

No streetlights, massive decrease in the police force, big crackdown on benefit fraud, entering a recession, no jobs ? :huh:

Why does the word 'anarchy' spring to mind? :suspect:

I don't think anarchy is quite the right word you are looking for. Perhaps I'm wrong :huh:

Archived