Inheritance - Will you means assess your children fairly?

Do your kids really deserve the free handout they're going to receive when you die? What if your kids are complete morons?! Would they deserve it then?

Why do your kids deserve it any more than the kids who grew up on a council estate, whose parents had £0.00 to pass on?

Wouldn't it set a better example if we encouraged a society that rewarded individual hard work above handouts from mummy and daddy?

Discuss.

Done to death this one but here goes ;)

Do your kids really deserve the free handout they're going to receive when you die?
Yes

What if your kids are complete morons?! Would they deserve it then?
If they were complete morons, I'd cut them out.

Why do your kids deserve it any more than the kids who grew up on a council estate, whose parents had £0.00 to pass on?
Because they're my kids, I look after my own, not everybody else's.

Wouldn't it set a better example if we encouraged a society that rewarded individual hard work above handouts from mummy and daddy?
No. What encouragement would there be to save if I'm not allowed to give it to who I want to have it.

And I answered, because they're mine. That's all there is to it.

Usually when people say someone deserves something it's because they've earned it or have been disadvantaged in some way and need to make up the shortfall. You're saying another individual (your child) deserves your wealth simply because they are the product of your sperm. This doesn't make any sense.

Usually when people say someone deserves something it's because they've earned it or have been disadvantaged in some way and need to make up the shortfall. You're saying another individual (your child) deserves your wealth simply because they are the product of your sperm. This doesn't make any sense.

It's what parents do, look after their children. It makes perfect sense.

It's what parents do, look after their children. It makes perfect sense.

Again, I'm not questioning your perfectly natural urges to look after your kids, but I'm asking you to look at things a little more objectively. It is the sign of an evolved society that can scrutinise such urges in the name of a greater good. Equal opportunity, for example.

So I ask again. Why do YOUR kids deserve the handout?

Archived