Soham trial

Can you imagine if theyd let him go free hed probably be dead by now - prisons the best place for him. Say what you will about it being a 'nice' place but the main point is to keep him away from other kiddies. anyway, Im sure the prisoners wont let him off lightly.

The best outcome would be for him to eventually tell the parents of the two children exactly what occurred in his house.

They will want to know the details of how the girls died and what he did to them beforehand, if anything. Until they do, they will never be able to even begin to put this behind them.

Imho, the prison system should be working towards this goal, and be far less concerned with any punitive measures that many members of the public would want to see taken instead.

Originally posted by fuzzy purple

And should he be in a prison with a nice cell with a tv and playstation, and in a prison with a fully equiped library with internet and computer access, fully equiped gym and pool table to play with his new mates.

I dont wish to quibble and I am pleased they found him guilty.

But prisons are not as described. My mother is a volunteer prison visitor and visits those offenders who nobody else would visit. Blokes a bit like Huntley in some cases, although the prison officers dont go into detail about what they have done...

Anyway, in the prison she does her visiting, they dont even have electricity in the cells, never mind TVs or playstations. The batteries for their radios cost more than a week's allowance so they often dont have a radio. They get their breakfast at 4pm at night, ready for the following morning, cos they are locked up most of the time. Of course they eat it long before breakfast tomorrow so are always hungry.

She took some books to the library, which is poorly stocked, some second hand ones, so that her prisoners could read them, but they either disappeared out of the cupboard before anyone saw them or never made it there to start with.

I am not saying prisons should be better or worse (not in this thread anyway) but the idea that it is all marvellous and full of high tech modern facilities is a bloody joke.

Go and visit someone and find out for yourself

(The prison she visits is ten years old, not 150 years old, they are even worse)

Being stuck in cell with a TV for 23 hours a day is probably better than being stuck inside the same cell without one, but it's still not exactly a barrel of laughs.

Anyway, we're all getting away from the original topic here.

I wonder what will become of Maxine Carr once she's released. If I was her I'd try to emigrate.

Archived