Airplane seat problems

I suppose "leaving the ground" is not considered a problem, right?

I think lack of horizontal space -- elbow room -- is the biggest problem with the seating. If you lose control of the arm rest, you have to spend the entire flight on one buttock.

I realize that tall people suffer from inadequate leg room but the seats are just as uncomfortable for short people. I'm barely 5'1'' and it's impossible to get my head, torso and legs positioned properly.

im pretty petite so legroom isnt really a problem, i can just about stretch out straight with my legs under the seat in front! putting the seat in front back doesnt really bother me either, as again im tiny.

biggest problem for me is being on a 10 hour flight and being stuck in the middle of a row of 5 seats in the middle of the plane. no chance of being able to get out with two people either side of me all asleep! if im next to a window im fine for hours though! when they whack the air conditioning up about an hour before you are due to land is a pain, its really cold, but i guess its to wake everyone up to get them off?

also in the departure lounge. i remember once getting the national express to heathrow at 9.30pm from manchester. i arrived at heathrow at 6.30am, checked in and went to a harry ramsdens to order fish and chips. only to be told it was only a breakfast menu as it was morning. well it wasnt morning for me, i wanted some supper! grrr!! i do wish they wouldnt operate on time zones in airport departure lounges, everybody is on different clocks! the sausage butty i had just wasnt satisfying enough.

Hello there,

Im doing a project at school and am wondering what the biggest problem is for you when you fly?

Thanks

Simon

First things first Simon, it's an aeroplane or aircraft, not an airplane. A plane is something that you use in woodwork class.

That very important point aside I find that other passengers expectations are the biggest seat problem when flying. Everyone knows that cheap seats are cheap for a reason - there are lots of them in a confined space. There are seats with plenty of comfort but they are at the pointy end and cost three or four times more.

However many passengers insist on trying to create their own personal space without due consideration to the folk around them with habits such as leaving seats reclined, constantly wandering around, getting yet another item from the bag in the overhead locker and playing with the blower nozzle.

A personal solution is to sit by the window with the belt on and go to sleep with a 'do not disturb unless you really want to spoil your day' grimace on my face.

I don't physically fit between the rows of seats in most zoo class seats (being extremely tall) and because of my disabilities I am not allowed to use any of the seats with extra leg room because you have to be able to operate the emergency exit door if you sit there.

So I'm left with the choice of trying to sit at an angle because my femurs are longer than the distance between the front of my seat and the back of the seat in front, or paying a price I can't afford in order to travel in relative comfort.

First things first Simon, it's an aeroplane or aircraft, not an airplane. A plane is something that you use in woodwork class.

That very important point aside I find that other passengers expectations are the biggest seat problem when flying. Everyone knows that cheap seats are cheap for a reason - there are lots of them in a confined space. There are seats with plenty of comfort but they are at the pointy end and cost three or four times more.

However many passengers insist on trying to create their own personal space without due consideration to the folk around them with habits such as leaving seats reclined, constantly wandering around, getting yet another item from the bag in the overhead locker and playing with the blower nozzle.

A personal solution is to sit by the window with the belt on and go to sleep with a 'do not disturb unless you really want to spoil your day' grimace on my face.

Sorry about that. Mistake will be rectified next time

Archived