Legal Advise needed

Darran

Legal myths...

1. Mistakes cannot be rectified once you leave the premises.

2. Any "enter at your own risk" sign (or just about any other disclaimer for that matter)

3. The whole parking ticket thing including the stuff about bailiffs.

I could go on. There are loads I see quoted on here all the time. Number one applies in this case.

If you knew the price, and agreed it, there's your contract - offer and acceptance. All they have to do is prove the technical error or mistake, dead easy, and off they go to small claims. Dispute it and you end up with a CCJ against you. I'd just pay it.

You can chance it if its a small amount as they might not bother (I wouldn't for less than £100 or so if I were a business). Wait till the claim form comes through maybe and pay it. Don't try the argument that you want time to pay it as your finances have changed, as all the Court will do there is enter a CCJ against you and order you to pay in installments.

If this was the other way round and you discovered three months later you'd paid too much I'd imagine you wouldn't get any sympathy, help or a refund.

Stick to your guns.

The same applies - you sign/enter a pin to accept you have checked the amount. Therefore in both cases the responsibility rests with you.

I'm not syaing the op has done anything wrong - but legally he's accepted their offer which unfortunately was incorrect.tbh i owuldn't expect it to go further if its a small amount.

If this was the other way round and you discovered three months later you'd paid too much I'd imagine you wouldn't get any sympathy, help or a refund.

Stick to your guns.

I suspect that if the garage had put too big a figure in the card machine the OP would have said something there and then....

Archived