Is it Legal to sit and drink alcohol in my car? (not drive it)

It is called presumption of guilt, which this 'drunk in charge' law is. It appears that you want this given that you stated as being for "keeping this law as it is".
Anyone drunk with a set of keys is a potential danger to the public as they do not have their faculties and thus higher reasoning.

So, someone could walk down the road with a large bat and as long as they don't beat someone round the head the police have no cause to intervene ? what kind of logic is that ?

It would be negligence for them to leave someone drunk with the potential to drive, and as their main purpose is public safety then that is how the law works, unhappy as you may be about it.

Anyone drunk with a set of keys is a potential danger to the public as they do not have their faculties and thus higher reasoning.

Anyone who is sober and with a set of keys is also a potential danger to the public. Should they be nicked as well?

So, someone could walk down the road with a large bat and as long as they don't beat someone round the head the police have no cause to intervene ? what kind of logic is that ?

Let the Met arrest all of those playing in a match at Lord's, who are walking to the ground. They are likely to be carrying their own cricket bats so they might use it to clobber someone.

It would be negligence for them to leave someone drunk with the potential to drive, and as their main purpose is public safety then that is how the law works, unhappy as you may be about it.

The law also works on a 'presumption of innocence' which is something you seem to be unhappy about. It has done so for a lot longer than motor vehicles have been around. The 'drunk in charge' law is doesn't and allows those who are drunk who genuinely have no intention of driving (and therefore NO danger to the public) to get nicked.

Hmm. Interesting. I've had a few beers and then sat in my car to listen to the news on Radio 4 of an evening (as all good drunks do) when I've been camping. As my tent is small I tend to use the car as a wardrobe / bathroom cabinet when on a camp site, so I always have the keys on me. Even if I didn't need access to the car for my toothbrush, towel etc, a tent isn't exactly a secure place to leave your car keys though.

Looks like I've been 'drunk in charge' which is utterly ridiculous.

Hmm. Interesting. I've had a few beers and then sat in my car to listen to the news on Radio 4 of an evening (as all good drunks do) when I've been camping. As my tent is small I tend to use the car as a wardrobe / bathroom cabinet when on a camp site, so I always have the keys on me. Even if I didn't need access to the car for my toothbrush, towel etc, a tent isn't exactly a secure place to leave your car keys though.

Looks like I've been 'drunk in charge' which is utterly ridiculous.

But doesn't drunk in charge only apply if you're on a public road?? What you do on private property is entirely different.

Anyone who is sober and with a set of keys is also a potential danger to the public. Should they be nicked as well?

Let the Met arrest all of those playing in a match at Lord's, who are walking to the ground. They are likely to be carrying their own cricket bats so they might use it to clobber someone.

The law also works on a 'presumption of innocence' which is something you seem to be unhappy about. It has done so for a lot longer than motor vehicles have been around. The 'drunk in charge' law is doesn't and allows those who are drunk who genuinely have no intention of driving (and therefore NO danger to the public) to get nicked.

I can see all logic is going to be lost on you so I will save myself the hassle of trying and admit defeat to your superior argument ;)

Just one Point I would like to make before leaving you to it, 'how many drunks have no intention of falling over' ? :huh:

But doesn't drunk in charge only apply if you're on a public road?? What you do on private property is entirely different.

Ah, fair enough. Good job I was on a proper site. Still, of having the keys on you means you are 'in charge' then my other camping habit of driving somewhere picturesque to read a book and listen to a CD instead of sitting in the tent on a rainy night is also surely open to legal question. Can you be 'in charge of a vehicle without paying attention'?

Ah, fair enough. Good job I was on a proper site. Still, of having the keys on you means you are 'in charge' then my other camping habit of driving somewhere picturesque to read a book and listen to a CD instead of sitting in the tent on a rainy night is also surely open to legal question. Can you be 'in charge of a vehicle without paying attention'?
On private land I think you can get rat arsed and rally your car if you want, its only 'public' safety they police for.

My bold

From my observations, quite a few drivers seem to manage that without the distraction of a book or CD!! :hihi:

Archived