School cancels playtime in row over noise

I'm shocked by this. How grumpy and antisocial do you have to be in order to complain to environmental health about the noise of children happily playing :roll:

Selby school cancels outside break in row over noise

Children at a school near Selby have had a play break cancelled and hard ball games banned after neighbours complained to the council about noise.

Barlby Community Primary School has also put up a soundproof fence because it fears a noise abatement order.

The school said the decisions were "regrettable" but necessary to prevent the chance of a notice being served.

Some parents are unhappy about the move, which was also criticised by the organisation Play England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-11340226

Must be the first time I've ever agreed with you serapis - the miserable beggars should be ashamed.

I would have expected though, that both the school and the pupils parents would put up more of a fight and surely the local council should be sympathetic to the school.

Noise pollution is a growing problem but it's unavoidable that we all have to put up with a certain amount of it. The school is obviously doing everything it can to minimise the noise so they need lots of publicity about the problem and maybe some bad publicity for the complaining residents will encourage them to withdraw their complaints.

The miserable beggars are the ones in the school who think that they have to do something in response.

But, surely something else is going on here? It doesn't ring true as reported especially as the EHO double speak says "We are not satisfied that a statutory noise nuisance exists from what amounts to normal use of the school and playground areas"

Funnily enough as I am reading this thread I have the front door wide open and can plainly hear the kids playing at Windmill Hill School and only when I read this post did I really notice it.

They are just across the road from me and if I close the door I can't hear a thing, some people just like something to complain about :roll::roll:

Archived