Steak in Sheffield

roz2010

Maybe I am missing something?

The menu shows only 2 steaks, one at £50 and Rump. Is this right?

http://www.londonclubsheffield.co.uk/menu.pdf

It also serves burgers, ribs, pork sandwiches and hot dogs. I considered going the other day to try but after seeing the menu gave it a miss. Looks like upmarket Uncle Sams.

Unless of course there is another menu....

Yes that's right, that's the same menu I was ordering from yesterday. If I'm going to have steak then I always order rump, so I didn't have a problem with the choice - and the food we got was excellent. Herself had the fish which was also top-notch (light crisp batter, fried in dripping: classic) though when she tasted the steak she said she'd be ordering that next time.

The waitress did mention that it was a new menu, but we'd not been there before so that didn't really make a difference to us.

It also serves burgers, ribs, pork sandwiches and hot dogs. I considered going the other day to try but after seeing the menu gave it a miss. Looks like upmarket Uncle Sams.

But Uncle Sams is not much cheaper than this and is scruffy and rubbish with surly waitresses...

£ 7.95 for a 1/2 Lb burger & fries in a restaurant is actually pretty reasonable in Sheffield

(Relish is £ 11, Uncle Sams I would guess around £ 6.50? , SwankyFranks £ 7.95 , Handmade Burger Co £ 6.85, Champs £ 7.10)

Might have to give LC a try in my hunt for the best burger in Sheffield...plus I have been craving a decent hot dog lately for some reason...

Currently I rate Champs the highest as the burger was pretty good AND , most importantly - they cooked it pink....

Nowhere else will do this (Cricket used to but not sure now - relish would not) which is a clear sign the beef cannot be trusted ...a well done burger is missing the point...

Sadly , this looks likely to change as they have been swallowed up by the people who own Relish and the Cricket...

Even the simplest diner in the USA during my few visits was able to offer up a burger which is miles better than anything Sheffield can offer sadly.

Watch man versus food also to see what I mean.

The London Club used to be a very steak-oriented place and was as good as many of the posters suggest (when they were open, anyway). The menu changed a few months ago and was much more general. I guess they may have been forced to change by the Bar and Grill in Leopold Square, which is pretty good for steaks although LC in its prime was better IMO.

Now it sounds like the menu has changed again. An upmarket Uncle Sam's actually sounds quite interesting...more reviews, please!

£50 for a rump steak, i hope you get the full cow for that price

Currently I rate Champs the highest as the burger was pretty good AND , most importantly - they cooked it pink....

Nowhere else will do this (Cricket used to but not sure now - relish would not) which is a clear sign the beef cannot be trusted ...a well done burger is missing the point...

Sadly , this looks likely to change as they have been swallowed up by the people who own Relish and the Cricket...

Even the simplest diner in the USA during my few visits was able to offer up a burger which is miles better than anything Sheffield can offer sadly.

Watch man versus food also to see what I mean.

This is my opinion as well.

I've been outside the US for 7 years now and yet to find a place that makes a decent burger. Champs comes close, but theres unnecessary seasoning in their mix (a good burger lets the meat speak for itself by just using a bit of salt and pepper) as well.

I've settled by just making my own at home and serving on brioche rolls.

Damnit, now I want a hamburger!

I may try the London Club - have often considered it but not been there yet. I think the reason why I haven't is because I'm put off by the menu - and I must say, I'm really disappointed by this new menu. It's gone downmarket - we've got enough cheap downmarket places in this city already. Sign of the recession perhaps?

To me, a good steak house is one where you can order whatever size of steak you want. The London Club offers a 10z rump or an unspecified size "Chateubriand" which is fillet of course.

Why don't we have any restaurant in Sheffield that serves large steaks? I'm sure there would be a demand for it. How about a nice Porterhouse, minimum 16oz in weight? Or a similar sized New York Strip steak? Delicious!

One of the guys on here recommended the Old Post Office, just of J38 at Haigh near Barnsley. It's 30 minutes from Sheffield but worth the drive. They bring the different types of steak out on a board for you to choose - and the quality is good.

I also go to Argento in Huddersfield (good Argentian steaks) and Gaucho's (which is about the best steak house I've tried in this country) they are in Leeds and Manchester.

Maybe someone will help me reduce my carbon footprint and open a place locally where you can be a real greedy pig and have as much steak as you want?

London Club is most certainly one of my favourite restaurants in Sheffield. I've only ever ordered steak there, so can only comment on that. The Chateaubriand is quite simply stunning. I had a rib-eye before the menu changed and that was brilliant too. The full butter mash is rather amazing too! If you like steak, you quite simply have to try this place out. I really don't have anything bad to say about this place.

Some have mentioned burgers as well... try the Ultimate burger at The Forum. Really good - best burger I've had as far as I remember.

Well we tried London Club Saturday 10th March and it was great.

I had a surf and turf burger which was a 6 oz cheeseburger with 3 dripping fried battered prawns.

Came with coleslaw , homemade ketchup , fries, salad & pickles and 3 battered onion rings.

Best burger in Sheffield right now without doubt.

Charred & crunchy oustide , soft, juicy and slightly pink in the middle (I asked for it pink) and a great flavour. Reckon it was bigger than 6oz (there is an 8 oz burger on the menu too). £ 8.95 - bargain.

Child 1 had fish and chips & peas which was served in a cardboard fish and chip tray - crunchy and light and dripping fried.

Child 2 had just a hot dog but was a fair quality one and a foot long , boiled and grilled.

Wife had 1/2 rack of ribs which were also very good - fell off the bones and were tasty and tender.

A very helpful and efficient waitress (although I worried how she would cope if it got busy as she was on her own).

£ 42 with drinks.

Only one negative - a slightly fuggy smell of the beef dripping when we walked it but , didnt notice it too much after we sat down and our clothes didnt smell of it so cant have been as bad as first thought (or perhaps they upped they extractors).

On our way out we noticed at lunchtimes - they offer the burger for a fiver...whether its an 8 oz one I cant say but that sounds pretty decent value.

And Mr Brown was in the kitchen (good on him). One of Sheffields best chefs back where he should be - cooking great food (Mr Smith take note).

Archived