Hyde Park flats

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I miss the hyde park flats, two of my favourite past times as a kid were speeding down on my bike/skateboard, started off on top of sky edge, picking up speed whilst checking no cars are coming, across the road, through the lift shaft, down the hill past the park, and then you had to be really good in order to turn that tight corner without slowing down (else doom awaits as you hit the wall and go fly the 20ft vertical drop), down the ramp, past the youth club and then 1/2 way along derwent row without using any peddling through the whole trip.

We used to see if we could ever reach the end of derwent without peddling, never did, so the last stretch would end up turning into an all out peddle race to the lift.

And exploring the ducts.

Them were the days, R.I.P mexican Dez, long gone are the days when we'd here yer gruff voice shouting down "ere you lad, here's £1 get me some bread and take 20p out of it" as we walked below.

• 4 months later...
those outside staircases used to scare me s***less.

it was the internal staircases on the main block that I hated, there were two of them, one at either end of the shop section. One was above the Crow's Nest, the other above the Hyde-Away.(I remember the numbers on the flats in the stairwell above the Hyde Away were in the "fifties", the ones above the Crows Nest were about 10/14)

They were really spooky when there was a power cut, as there was no proper natural light in those stairs. There was a roof over with a glassed panel, but after donkeys years they were filthy dirty, and obscured.

Hi there Hyde Parkies,I worked on Hyde Park [bricklayer] when it was built early 60,s.The forman was called The Milky Bar Kid. The main contractor was PWD,[sheffieds own works dept.My mate at the time was Cliff Edley who lived on the Manor.Anyone else out there who worked on the flats.Regards Judd

Hi plaintalker, do you know if number 55 would be next to the stairwell on the big block. I'm trying to remember what number my mate, Debbie Carr, lived at?

Cheers

Yes,it would have been. My mate lived at a number 65, which was bang in the middle of the main bit of the landing after the stairwell, so it would have been very close to the stairwell, as I'm sure the numbers ran 51/52/53, in the stairwell (or very close)

My aunt was about four or five doors from the stairwell, on the other side, and hers was number 44.

(edit to say, I could be out by a couple of numbers either way, but it's very close)

Yes,it would have been. My mate lived at a number 65, which was bang in the middle of the main bit of the landing after the stairwell, so it would have been very close to the stairwell, as I'm sure the numbers ran 51/52/53, in the stairwell (or very close)

My aunt was about four or five doors from the stairwell, on the other side, and hers was number 44.

(edit to say, I could be out by a couple of numbers either way, but it's very close)

Thanks for that PT. I lived on there for about 6 years but there's loads of things I don't remember until some one on here mentions them.

Archived