Should politicians that swap parties resign and stand for election again?

Tony

When crossing the floor...  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When crossing the floor...

• ... they should keep their seat
    • ... they should resign and stand for election again

Topical eh?

While the rules say that individuals are elected the reality is that politicians are usually voted in on the basis of the party that they represent.

Should those who resign from one party to join another be forced to stand for re-election on their new ticket?

Is holding on to their seat without asking the electorate what they think tantamount to squatting?

Not that topical yet Tony but I expect it will be soon! Suppose you are getting in first before the possible mass defections from the Lib Dems when the cuts begin to bite eh?!

I think If Lib Dems defect to Labour then there should be no need for a by-election.

If a Lab or Lib Dem defects to the Cons then a by-election should be called.

Simple.

Topical eh?

While the rules say that individuals are elected the reality is that politicians are usually voted in on the basis of the party that they represent.

Should those who resign from one party to join another be forced to stand for re-election on their new ticket?

Is holding on to their seat without asking the electorate what they think tantamount to squatting?

In an ideal world, that would be the situation, as that is the modern reality.

But we do not live in an ideal world do we.

You are trying to confuse people who do not know the reality.

When you cast your vote, you are voting for an individual, not a party.

You have voted them to be your representative at Parliament.

It is the same with all this crap about, 'I never voted for him/her to be PM'.

The only people who vote for PM are the government, with the consent of The Queen.

It is a sad thing that the people of this country think they have far more power than, in reality, they have.

People vote for a party not an individual, unless that individual is standing as an Independent.

Candidates use the donations, resources and goodwill of members of the party they're standing for to get elected. If they then renege on that party, it/they should be declared null and void and a bye election called.

The dastard who's crossed the floor today should be run out of town on a rail. I'd say exactly the same if the pipsqueak was a Labour councillor, as I did when it was a Tory defector.

It does make you wonder at the motives of such a person. He wouldn't have had a prayer of getting elected if he'd stood for Labour in the first place. Maybe it was a cunning plan to delude the electorate and get himself in by the back door?

People vote for a party not an individual, unless that individual is standing as an Independent.

Candidates use the donations, resources and goodwill of members of the party they're standing for to get elected. If they then renege on that party, it/they should be declared null and void and a bye election called.

The dastard who's crossed the floor today should be run out of town on a rail. I'd say exactly the same if the pipsqueak was a Labour councillor, as I did when it was a Tory defector.

It does make you wonder at the motives of such a person. He wouldn't have had a prayer of getting elected if he'd stood for Labour in the first place. Maybe it was a cunning plan to delude the electorate and get himself in by the back door?

Not a bit like Clegg getting himself made so called deputy PM then?

By selling the Liberals soul to the Devil is it.

They never stood a snowball chance in Hell, yet he has sold our country down the river.

You are OK as are many others, but your fellow small businessmen will not appreciate your support for that traitor, I would imagine.

I no longer work for the NHS, but for a massive combine that runs its Hospitals, under PFI (thanks Tony, you ****).

We wait with bated breath for the Public Spending announcements to be made in a few days.

Mark my words, you will regret the day that these fools were ever given command, it will be the ruin of all we have worked for, for centuries.

Topical eh?

Personally I'm much more concerned with Politicians that completely change their policies.

How anyone can go from proposing a policy of a Mansion Tax designed to make the well-off pay, to implementing one of Benefit cuts that make the poor pay is quite beyond my understanding of politicians and principles.

Archived