Posh nosh

Jack Yerbody

I wouldn't say Thyme got a 'dodgy' review - it was just the usual guff about how unsophisticated people are north of the Watford gap. If I remember rightly, the reviewer banged on about how Pret a Manger shutting down illustrated that the people of Sheffield aren't conscious of what constitutes good food. As nonsensical argument as I've ever read from a food critic, I think.

But the restaurant itself was praised.

Aren't these London reviewers brave coming all the way up north, eh?

Originally posted by Greenback

I wouldn't say Thyme got a 'dodgy' review - it was just the usual guff about how unsophisticated people are north of the Watford gap. If I remember rightly, the reviewer banged on about how Pret a Manger shutting down illustrated that the people of Sheffield aren't conscious of what constitutes good food. As nonsensical argument as I've ever read from a food critic, I think.

But the restaurant itself was praised.

Aren't these London reviewers brave coming all the way up north, eh?

yeah, i remember some lettuce debate about iceburg and rocket too. all the above contextualisation of sheffield overshadowed the actual review, making me think it gave thyme a very average review but obviously not eh!

Cheers folks, will decide and let you knowhow it went.

Southerners generally do have a pretty negative view of restaurants up north (largely justified, from what I can gather), but it is born largely of the fact thatnearly all the UK's best restaurants are within the circular. Plus the service oop north leaves a feckuva lot to be desired.

Originally posted by Jack Yerbody

Southerners generally do have a pretty negative view of restaurants up north (largely justified, from what I can gather), but it is born largely of the fact thatnearly all the UK's best restaurants are within the circular. Plus the service oop north leaves a feckuva lot to be desired.

All the best resturants may be in London but that is only because that is where the money is, most big corps are based in London, so if I am entertaining a client then I would go to London and meet said client and go out for a meal. Most of the money spent on top meals in top places is corporate money.

Service poor up North - not justified and a total load of crap.

Remember - one of the top resturaunters in London -Marco Pierre White started life as a chef woking in Ilkley.

Originally posted by mikey

... Most of the money spent on top meals in top places is corporate money...

...Service poor up North - not justified and a total load of crap.

Most of the money?? A lot of, perhaps, but don't underestimate the number of people who eat wel, and eat out, regularly.

As for your comment about service - perhaps I've got different standards, but I've found waiters in the north to be too chatty, too attentive, and unknowledgable. Just my tuppence-worth, though.

I suppose again the top waiters are going to go where the money is - Human nature, so they will all work in the top places. (down sarf)

Maybe Northerners are just to friendly for their own good:thumbsup:

The other thing is, in our culture being a waiter in this country is not classed as having a good job.

But in France a top waiter is classed as being on a par with a lawyer.

Archived