Rip off shops and your custom

Do you stop shopping at places because they are a rip off?

What things do you consider a rip off?

I've just been to a shop for 8 beers, and at £7 they were pretty dear as it was, and then to pay on card it was an extra 50p.

I consider that a rip off (the 50p charge), and I don't think I'll be going again.

I once went to STEARS BEERS (scicey) and bought 8 bottles in a kind of cardboard carry thing, anyhow they have narrowed the shop down by the tills (presumably to keep check on shoplifting) and some other customers having been called further down to the other till, knocked my bottles into the counter and one smashed one so I showed it the assistant and he said take it back and get another 8 bottles.

I did and paid, and when he gave me my change I noticed he had charged me too much. I asked him if he had charged me for the smashed bottle that he saw was not my fault and he said yes but I have only charged you x amount for it.

The *******. I didn't go in for some thing like 9 months after that, and had I not already paid and knew before hand he was going to do it I would have left the bottles and told him where to get off.

Stears Beers = robbing <REMOVED>

I've always considered it a rip-off that some shops do not charge a fee for using a card; it means those of us who pay cash are being made to subsidise card-users.

Why?

If you pay by card, the store incurs a charge from the card issuer.

If you pay cash, the store incurs a charge from the security firm that collects the cash and the safe installer and the insurer. I bet it balances out, or they would indeed charge more for cards.

Any motorway service station. Daylight robbery. They could charge less and make more because more people would buy stuff. They must have a formula that works out the maximum price they can charge before people refuse to part with their cash to the point where it costs them money. Franchises have a lot to answer for.

Why?

If you pay by card, the store incurs a charge from the card issuer.

If you pay cash, the store incurs a charge from the security firm that collects the cash and the safe installer and the insurer. I bet it balances out, or they would indeed charge more for cards.

I've worked for many retail places and none of them have had security to collect the cash. I've walked through Stockport with a December days cash from Dixons in a carrier bag with the branch manager before now - small businesses certainly don't pay for security - cash is cheaper to handle, but slightly less convenient.

50p is a reasonable reflection of how much it costs to process a card transaction. On credit cards the retailer is charged a percentage of the transaction, and with debit cards it's a flat fee - but basically if you pay by card you cost the retailer more.

Any motorway service station. Daylight robbery. They could charge less and make more because more people would buy stuff. They must have a formula that works out the maximum price they can charge before people refuse to part with their cash to the point where it costs them money. Franchises have a lot to answer for.

It can't be both ways - they can't be losing out on profit ("They could charge less and make more") and be maximising profit ("They must have a formula that works out the maximum price they can charge before people refuse to part with their cash to the point where it costs them money") at the same time.

You can't charge low prices at service stations because people expect high prices - so it's only those prepared to pay high price that stop and spend. If you lowered prices you'd go bust before word got around - and besides, people will still only stop there if they need petrol or a wee and are on the correct motorway.

I've worked for many retail places and none of them have had security to collect the cash. I've walked through Stockport with a December days cash from Dixons in a carrier bag with the branch manager before now - small businesses certainly don't pay for security - cash is cheaper to handle, but slightly less convenient.

50p is a reasonable reflection of how much it costs to process a card transaction. On credit cards the retailer is charged a percentage of the transaction, and with debit cards it's a flat fee - but basically if you pay by card you cost the retailer more.

I'll bow to your knowledge here, as I've never worked in retail.

However, I suspect that Sainsbury's don't send their takings off to the bank in a carrier bag. :) I would also imagine that the volume of card sales in a big store would enable sufficient economies of scale to offset the cost of processing card transactions. I can't remember the last time that I paid cash for a purchase over £30.

Archived