Help please - ear syringing!

Hello all. I went to the docs a few days ago with a badly blocked ear. I'm deaf in that ear and have a headache which is definitely associated with it.

He advised olive oil followed by syringing. The oil hasn't helped much and, believe it or not, I can't get an appointment with my practice nurse for a fortnight.

The discomfort is such that I'm prepared to pay to try and get rid.

Can anyone recommend a private practice which will do this? I live in Abbeydale but I'm certainly prepared to drive a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Well, visiting the NHS Walk-In Centre on Broad Lane was a waste of time. The nurse explained they wouldn't do it.

'Your GP gets thousands and thousands of pounds in resources to do this. We used to but then found we were inundated. We'd be doing nothing else but syringing.' The latter I find extremely hard to believe.

She didn't know of a private practice and simply recommended Otex.

I've badgered my GP and will do so again first thing tomorrow. But, at the moment, I'm not going to be seen for 12 days.

Back to square one, so...does anyone know of a private practice which will do this? Any help appreciated.

you could try hopi candles.

i get a block ear every year or so, and these really help. they sound abit new age / hippy treatment, but do work.

its basically a straw / tube you place in your ear, light the end and the candles pulls the wax out due to the vacuum created by the flame.

just make sure you have someone there to hold the candle in your ear...

Aren't candles you put in your ears called earwicks?

Personally, I'd advocate the judicial application of a mild acid like hydroflouric. A small amount (say 100ml) should easily dissolve any pesky wax! :D

Is that why folks can see through to the other side when they look into one of your ears Ab? :hihi: