Interesting survey on what we believe people should be paid

I can't see how anyone can defend the fact that of the combined earnings of this group of 15 employees, the wages of the Chief Exec and Footballer account for 84% of the wages.

Complete madness to be honest, and it seems most of those surveyed agree with me.

I just wonder how many of those surveyed voted Tory.

Who cares which people voted, as we will never know.....all we know is the facts, so lets start from there. Lets try not to get into a party war like a lot of the threads on here.

The only problem with it is that it's largely crap.

Secretaries on £25k? Not in our office certainly, and we're one of the biggest employers in Sheffield. Call centre staff on £19k? Err no. My mates working for O2 and Aviva would disagree with those.

I'd suggest it's not very representative of Sheffield!

Who cares which people voted, as we will never know.....all we know is the facts, so lets start from there. Lets try not to get into a party war like a lot of the threads on here.

The relevance is that you have survey which shows they think certain groups of people are paid far more than what people believe they should be and others who aren't being paid enough.

The connection is whether or not these same people are voting for maintaining the "Status Quo" party which is the Tories, or for another party who would try and change to what they want.

My suspicion is the former, which shows how the media can manipulate peoples voting habits.

Secretaries on £25k? Not in our office certainly, and we're one of the biggest employers in Sheffield. Call centre staff on £19k? Err no. My mates working for O2 and Aviva would disagree with those.

I suspect it's a national survey and in which case some of those salaries could be accurate.

I would suggest it is representative of what those people surveyed want though and clearly they don't want what they have now.

I came across this and thought it interesting to see how representative it would be of the opinions of people on here.

A survey of a thousand people have been asked what the appropriate amount of pay should be for the following employees and the results as well as the actual pay are shown below with the actual being displayed first.

Profession Actual average pay (£000) Survey pay (£000) Difference %

FTSE-100 chief executive 2,100 118 -94

Premiership footballer 1,700 365 -79

Bond trader 225 58 -74

Prime minister 142.5 119 -16

Secondary school head 73 43 -41

Train driver 40 28 -30

Social worker 30 28 -8

Nurse 29 29 0

Technician 29 28.7 -1

Airline cabin attendant 23 25 +9

Secretary/PA 23 25 +9

Hospital porter 18 21 +15

Call centre worker 17 19 +14

Care assistant 16 24 +50

Retail cashier 13 18 +36

I can’t help thinking though that if we all believe these types of salaries are more deserving, then why do we elect Governments that support the existing levels, although I suppose the power of the media in convincing us that the status quo should be maintained is responsible for this.

I wonder which category those who control the media come into!!!!

What makes you think that the government has any business interfering in how much someone is paid (unless they're a government employee)?

The survey was what people thought they should be paid.

The relevance is that you have survey which shows they think certain groups of people are paid far more than what people believe they should be and others who aren't being paid enough.

The connection is whether or not these same people are voting for maintaining the "Status Quo" party which is the Tories, or for another party who would try and change to what they want.

My suspicion is the former, which shows how the media can manipulate peoples voting habits.

Yet you cannot in anyway second guess what party afflications people who voted have. All you have is the stats. You can have all the suspisions in the world, which you can try and manipulate into something that benefits your party or goes against another..........

What makes you think that the government has any business interfering in how much someone is paid (unless they're a government employee)?

Or, indeed, that they could possibly do so even if they thought it a good idea. If a bond trader can earn £225,000 a year, then he will earn £225,000 a year, either here or in some other country where his wage is not artificially restricted. I don't think he's worth it, and I doubt you could find anybody (other than bond traders!) who does - but "is he worth it?" is a completely irrelevant question.

If people believe certain types of people are getting paid too much, then taxation can address the issue.

The Governmment is responsible for Taxation levels.

Yet you cannot in anyway second guess what party afflications people who voted have. All you have is the stats. You can have all the suspisions in the world, which you can try and manipulate into something that benefits your party or goes against another..........

I'm not trying to manipulate anything to benefit any party (I don't think any have suggested what the people surveyed want).

What I am trying to do is reconcile what people want and how they vote and it is confusing.

Archived