Interesting survey on what we believe people should be paid

What makes you think that the government has any business interfering in how much someone is paid (unless they're a government employee)?

Why shouldn't a democratically elected Govt. be involved?

Surely the whole point of a democracy is to take control and responsibility for the environment in which we live our lives.

Or, indeed, that they could possibly do so even if they thought it a good idea. If a bond trader can earn £225,000 a year, then he will earn £225,000 a year, either here or in some other country where his wage is not artificially restricted. I don't think he's worth it, and I doubt you could find anybody (other than bond traders!) who does - but "is he worth it?" is a completely irrelevant question.

I'm not sure you can have an irrelevant question as somehting always has relvance to someone and in your example it is the Bond Trader.

Also, Taxation levels can address blatant disparities in what people eanr and what they deserve so I would argue it is relevant to all of us.

If people believe certain types of people are getting paid too much, then taxation can address the issue.

The Governmment is responsible for Taxation levels.

Can't work.

People may believe nurses deserve £150k a year.

People may believe that some financial guy is over paid on £150k a year.

How do you fix that? Tax people different rates based on the nature of their employment?

Can't work.

People may believe nurses deserve £150k a year.

People may believe that some financial guy is over paid on £150k a year.

How do you fix that? Tax people different rates based on the nature of their employment?

I don't believe it is beyond our collective capabilities to come up with a system that addresses these problems.

A taxation system that taxes high earners more and uses the funds to pay care assistants more would be a small start.

I read this the other day.....

In the UK, the value of wages has declined from nearly 65% of GDP in the mid-1970s to 55% today. Over the same period, the rate of corporate profit has increased from 13% to 21%. It is no coincidence that in this period trade union rights were severely restricted, large swathes of the economy privatised, markets deregulated and corporation tax slashed.

There is an urgent need to rebalance the economy in the interests of people over big business.

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/campaigns/campaign-resources/there-is-an-alternative-the-case-against-cuts-in-public-services.cfm

The figures make a strong case for looking at ways to rebalance the economy to bring the wealth back to the wealth creators... ie the workers.

The section of the article makes the case for stronger unions, which is certainly a good argument, but for those worried about union power or maybe for those pointing out that in our more segmented economy with smaller employers, casual contracts etc rights to wage bargaining can only ever be a part of the solution because the system itself now undermines the ability of workers to demand fair recompense for their output. The only alternative left is direct involvement of Govt in ensuring fair pay through a range of measures like minimum wage guarantees, progressive policies and redistributive taxation.

Only by sending them all to play their football in Italy, and contribute a total taxation take of zero instead of the millions they currently contribute.

Also if you decided to have certain professions as "tax free" such as nurses, we may be in a situation where we have an excess of nurses, after we get a high number training because of the tax break......

I don't believe it is beyond our collective capabilities to come up with a system that addresses these problems.

A taxation system that taxes high earners more and uses the funds to pay care assistants more would be a small start.

But it is though.

What if people think that for example GPs are paid too much at £100k, but some other profession that earns the same are just fine. Do you just bring in a global high tax at £100k even though the "liked" profession suffers as well?

How would you keep people in this country, after you have upped there taxes?

Archived