Interesting survey on what we believe people should be paid

To me the actual levels of pay seem fair relative to the job content, the level of training and/or experience required, the cost of persuing such a position, the revenue generated, and the supply/demand conditions of labour.

FTSE-100 chief executive

V. High level of responsibility

V. High failure rate

Usually Masters level qualifications and professional accreditation

High personal and financial cost

Significant impact on bottom line

Companies seek to attract top candidates

Premiership footballer

Fair level of responsibility

V. High failure rate

V. Short career

No professional qualifications required, but a high 'natural' skill level

Fairly high personal cost

Clubs seek to attract top candidates

Bond trader

High level of risk

Usually strong Undergraduate qualifications required

Significant impact to bottom line

Companies willing to pay for top candidates

Demand higher than supply

Prime minister

No professional qualifications formally required, but usually necessary

Usually limited time-period

Secondary school head

High level of responsibility

Masters level qualification sought and/or significant experience

High financial cost

Significant impact on success

Schools willing to pay for proven success

Train driver

Moderate level of procedural responsibility

No qualifications or experience required

Low cost

Little bottom line impact

Social worker

Fair level of responsibility

Undergraduate degree and professional accreditation in senior positions and/or experience

Moderate financial cost

Significant impact on success

Demand much higher than supply

Nurse

Moderate/high level of procedural responsibility

Minimum Diploma level qualification

Moderate personal and financial cost

Moderate impact on success (depending on level)

Technician

This is such a general job title, it could be anything.

Airline cabin attendant

Moderate/low level of responsibility

No qualifications required

Moderate/high personal cost

Moderate/high impact on success

Secretary/PA

Moderate/low level of responsibility

Basic diploma/undergraduate qualifications and/or experience preferred

Moderate/low financial cost

Low impact on success

Supply higher than demand

Hospital porter

Low level responsibility

Moderate impact on success

Call centre worker

Low level of responsibility

Low personal cost

Low impact on bottom line

Care assistant

Low/moderate level of responsibility

Low personal cost

Low/moderate impact on success (difficult to assess)

Retail cashier

Low level of responsibility

No cost

Low impact on success

I have to agree that private sector salaries have nothing to do with a neo-liberal Government.

If I may say so that's a very good and thought provoking post although I can't agree with your conclusion.

There are lots of wrongs in the figures shown, but one that stands out is the pay of a Chief Exec being £2.1 million a year, compared to the Prime Minister at £142,500.

Looking at the skills-set for the Chief Executive you identified the following:

V. High failure rate

Usually Masters level qualifications and professional accreditation

Companies seek to attract top candidates

Breaking these down further, what do you think is involved in their roles to justify these salaries.

High level of Responsibility- I would guess their role is to meet specific financial targets, to meet these targets isn’t it as simple as ensuring the right Marketing people are in place, the right pricing of the product is agreed and that costs of production are kept to a minimum.

I’m not sure which aspect of the above is difficult.

High failure rate- If they do, don’t they just end up unemployed like what happens to the rest of us

High personal and financial cost- This isn’t the case in all Chief Executives

The other skills seem an extension of those above so I’ve not commented on them.

This simply isn't true.

It is though.

You started talking about specific professions and how their salary should be controlled by the government (which obviously knows best via the big brother style votes of the uninformed).

Then a few posts later it's anyone earning more than 200k, an arbitrary figure you've picked because you know it excludes 99% of people and is thus easy for people to agree with.

It happens that that figure would make no practical difference to taxation income for the income. The only point of it is to assuage your jealousy of those who earn a lot.

What is clear is that people aren't in agreement with what certain types or professions are paid, I conceded it is easy to agree with the problem but to resolve it is more problematic.

This isn't a problem at all, there's no reason that any persons salary should be set by the general public. It's down to the private enterprise which employs them and the owners of that enterprise to agree a figure with the individual.

In the interim I suggested a solution that taxes those paid over a certain amount whilst we collectively bang our heads together to find a solution that meets the wishes of the people who have spoken.

You suggested taxing the well paid more because of your political views. Any other reason you give is just a smokescreen to hide your feelings towards the well paid and successful.

High level of Responsibility- I would guess their role is to meet specific financial targets, to meet these targets isn’t it as simple as ensuring the right Marketing people are in place, the right pricing of the product is agreed and that costs of production are kept to a minimum.

I’m not sure which aspect of the above is difficult.

High failure rate- If they do, don’t they just end up unemployed like what happens to the rest of us

High personal and financial cost- This isn’t the case in all Chief Executives

The other skills seem an extension of those above so I’ve not commented on them.

Maybe if your opinion involved less guessing and not being sure then it might be more valid.

That depends on to what level you think a central democracy can and should be involved in private arrangements, which is ultimately what private sector pay packets are.

It is no longer a democracy if you limit the power of its democratic institutions. You seem to be advocating a Neo-Feudalist society, run by businesses not a democratic one.

Such a view will inevitably lead to trouble and a damaged, broken society because Corporations are legally set up to maximise profit, act in their own interests without any concept of morality.

It is no longer a democracy if you limit the power of its democratic institutions. You seem to be advocating a Neo-Feudalist society, run by businesses not a democratic one.

Such a view will inevitably lead to trouble and a damaged, broken society because Corporations are legally set up to maximise profit, act in their own interests without any concept of morality.

No, I'm advocating a minimally moderated capitalist democracy. Exactly what we have now.

Government only needs to interfere in the running of business when it's clearly in the public interest to do so.

Capping salaries to assuage jealousy and because some people don't understand what being a CEO involves is not in the public interest.

Inequality damages society and hinders well being.

It is precisely the reason we fought and won our democracy.

Who exactly did we fight for our modern democracy? And at which point did democracy change to involve a neo communist central state which must set the acceptable salaries for people?

The majority of people who support the idea of democracy also support the idea of a relatively free market for goods and services. That's because government doesn't exist to run our lives, it only exists to run the state.

Archived