Pre-pay meter not charging for heating - would you report it?

dink

My umm 'Friend' has a heating system that is a pre-payment system you top up at the shop, he put £10 on it last week and it registered he had £643.89 on it.

He thought that was odd and carried on using it, this week its still at the same balance, and he has plenty of Hot water and heating if wanted.

Now Mrs Dink, i mean his Wife is wanting to report it and get it fixed, the downside is he will have to start paying for his heating again.

When it broke down in the winter it took 3 weeks to get it fixed, my question is what would you people do in the same situation, my friend awaits your response. :)

Another option your 'friend' may consider would be to not say anything but make sure they put the money aside to cover being found out.

Of course I would not even consider doing this. I would own up straight away. Honest!

Maybe you have built up a credit on the meter, and when they do the 6 monthly or yearly meter readings they credit it back to your meter? That has happened on our gas meter several times.

I'd give them a call, and even if it turns out to be an error, then at least you will have only built up a small debt.

Maybe the shop got it wrong, and topped up by the wrong amount? I'd ask at the shop and see if they've misplaced £600 odd quid. I really don't think the gas company would make a mistake like that. Failing that, definitely report it, from fear of getting stung with a massive bill in the future.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!!

if your "friend" leaves it and they find out ite bill will be huge depending onhow long it takes.

personally i would report it just because eventually they will find out

My sentiments exactly!

Plus, if the system is having a wobbly turn, it could decide to go in the other direction and decide there's no credit, so it'll stop working and it's a bit nippy to be without heating.

Archived