Is having children an automatic right?

In the light of the Baby P debacle and that woman who hid her child for reward money this is a question I often ask myself and I wonder what others think. A friend of mine who worked amongst the underclass said a few years ago that if it were up to him there would be compulsory sterilisation that could only be reversed on application. I told him he was an extremist and took my usual liberal leftie view but...I saw a Swedish politician recently saying that messed up junkie women are given a pill that makes them infertile for a year and the situation is reviewed annually according to their behaviour. The other issue is the much hated situation where Vicki Pollard types knock out kids by various Waynes and Kevins to live at the taxpayers expense while wailing that they are entitled if anyone dares criticise them. In reality for normal people is it not plain common sense to not have kids if you have no money or security? Why should the taxpayer cover the difference?

In the light of the Baby P debacle and that woman who hid her child for reward money this is a question I often ask myself and I wonder what others think. A friend of mine who worked amongst the underclass said a few years ago that if it were up to him there would be compulsory sterilisation that could only be reversed on application. I told him he was an extremist and took my usual liberal leftie view but...I saw a Swedish politician recently saying that messed up junkie women are given a pill that makes them infertile for a year and the situation is reviewed annually according to their behaviour. The other issue is the much hated situation where Vicki Pollard types knock out kids by various Waynes and Kevins to live at the taxpayers expense while wailing that they are entitled if anyone dares criticise them. In reality for normal people is it not plain common sense to not have kids if you have no money or security? Why should the taxpayer cover the difference?

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Are you taking the **** ? :mad:

I don't understand your point. Many who work for the state e.g. social workers/police spend their days on messed up estates where 'families' consisting of messed up people with loads of kids, no money and involvment in crime. Haven't you heard?

So, normal people like yourself live in Fulwood? That would make the vast majority of people in this city members of the underclass. How smug you must feel.

I may be there now but I am from a Stradbroke council estate. As I said knee jerkers I am not of a fixed opinion on this but am open to a debate. Normal working people being assisted with tax credits is fine. Idiots with zero drive, ambition or money simply saying "it's alright, I/we'll get benefits to pay for it, probably get a flat too" is wrong. Or has Sheffield Forum transformed itself in the last 24 hours to a Guardian debate forum?

Archived