Is having children an automatic right?

OK my first answer to my 'reactionary' friend was correct. What do you have to say about those who have children while doing no work and living entirely at the taxpayers expense? What should be done to stop this specific problem?

Stop handing out council properties.

Well that is a good suggestion but 30 years of governments promising to get tough on 'scroungers', 'spongers' etc have not implemented this simple reform. Why? Other countries have a policy of benefits for the first child only and no automatic right to housing.

Well that is a good suggestion but 30 years of governments promising to get tough on 'scroungers', 'spongers' etc have not implemented this simple reform. Why? Other countries have a policy of benefits for the first child only and no automatic right to housing.

Which countries are those?

As my memory serves the USA has a policy of benefits for the first child only. In many cases they offer food stamps over money. Other than that I can't remember but I doubt that outside liberal western Europe the state is so understanding. I could of course be completely wrong and Brazil, India and Jordan may offer generous benefits and housing.

As my memory serves the USA has a policy of benefits for the first child only. In many cases they offer food stamps over money. Other than that I can't remember but I doubt that outside liberal western Europe the state is so understanding. I could of course be completely wrong and Brazil, India and Jordan may offer generous benefits and housing.

So are you suggesting we go the way of India, Brazil etc?

India

http://artsytime.com/img/misc/slumdogs-life/slumdogs-life01.jpg

Brazil

http://monkeysmashesheaven.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/brazil.jpg

USA

http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/298868_Slums-of-Detroit_jpg6f84f9463a0f7b4fb846a794a6c4f493

Nice.

OK my first answer to my 'reactionary' friend was correct. What do you have to say about those who have children while doing no work and living entirely at the taxpayers expense? What should be done to stop this specific problem?

Make the money that is given in child benefit means tested and take it from those that don't need it. That should save plenty of cash from scroungers that don't need it.

We should also stop giving out free education to those family's that can afford to pay. That should save plenty as well.

University education should be fully paid for and not subsidised. Again that would save plenty.

Those saving could then be invested in the necessary crèches for those children with mothers on benefits to allow them to work for a living. Unless you can of course come up with a better idea? ;)

No but I would say there should be no automatic 'entitlements'. Women with kids who have no family support should live in a 'young mums centre' overseen by a matron to ensure correct parenting skills. This should discourage any who see a child as a key to a flat. In the first case it should be the responsibility of the parents only.

Where benefits are given applicants should attend a thorough interview asking them why they think they are entitled. Points will be given for attitude, work ethic and evidence of drive e.g. school reports and references. In every case it should be made clear that nobody is entitled to anything unless they have been paying in for a sufficient number of years. It should also be made clear that money is given to avoid Dickensian poverty, not because they deserve it. Finally it should be pointed out that if they went before a jury of ordinary taxpayers they would be likely to get less or nothing.

Fathers and/or their parents should be tapped for cash. If an irresponsible father refuses to pay then his parents will even if it means selling the house.

In a nutshell all incentives should be removed and responsibility for actions should be enforced. People must realise they can't just do as they please because Auntie state will cover everything. Reasonable or outrageous?

Archived